Past guest disrespected my roommate

Jing4
Level 2
Boston, MA

Past guest disrespected my roommate

I just arrived home yesterday and my roommate told me the guest who just left made her uncomfortable. She told me yesterday that the guest asked her to take pictures for him, and after she adjusted the lights the guest went out only in a towel… He asked her to take nude pics for him and ask her if she was turned on( what???!!!). I don't know why she didn't tell me this before or even call the police. Maybe she tried to be polite and don't want to get us in to trouble.

The thing is, the guest already left and the reservation is over. I just knew this yesterday and I don't know if I should do something…
8 Replies 8
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is completely inappropriate behaviour. I am sure you feel awful that your hosting through BnB has put your flatmate at risk.

Hopefully you contacted BnB yesterday to raise the issue with them straight away so other hosts aren't put at risk by this man's behaviour.

If not get on the phone to them now and message them and put a red flag against the guest. Hopefully they will ban this guest from BnB.

Your flatmate should know that she should never have to put up with inappropriate behaviour. And that this was sexual harrassment.

Going forward you need to be careful to vet your guests to make sure they are a good fit and perhaps focus on hosting couples/families or females (if your house mate is happy for you to continue to host after this awful experience).

Make sure they have verified profilles, ideally reviews from other hosts and you correspond with them to find out more about your guests and your plans. You and your flatmate can decide if you are comfortable to have these guests in your home.

Dear Helen,

Thanks for your support! I haven't contacted Airbnb yet because I want to get confirmation from my roommate if she wants to have him reported for sure. I don't want to call the police or contact Airbnb without my rommate's consent. It sounds awful to me, but I think it's her call whether to make the issue exposed.... We are both international students, so the opportunity cost will be very high if we start a lawsuit, which we don't have 100% to win because there is no physical evidence left, just my roommate's bad memory. 

I don't think I'll host anyone later. This sounds so awful. I think my roommate is someone who wants to minimize troubles and doesn't speak loud, so I won't put her at stake. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Jing4, you could read @Andrea9 s house rules, nicely put about not accepting men without female company. There are plenty of places single men can book, with other men for instance! No need to book with you at all. Don't let it put you off hosting, just solo travelling men (sorry if I am discriminating, have to think safety ABOVE ALL)

Good luck

Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

You should contact AirBNB as this is totally unacceptable.  Write an honest review please!  That way us hosts know!  You don't have to go into detail but maybe something like 'guest exhibited highly inappropriate behaviour toward my housemate'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Lois-And-Ed0
Level 2
Aurora, IL

Have your roommate file a police report.  Go to the AirBnB Resolution Center and file a claim for the full amount of your deposit.  Report/flag him with AirBnB.  I'm sorry that happened to your roommate and you.  Tell him that you are prepared to file a lawsuit if he doesn't pay for damages (doctor visits, counseling, etc..  Legal Sheild is an inexpensive way to get representation at $30/month.  You can write it off as a business expense.  Please report ASAP!  I don't want this creep trying to stay at any of my properties!

No mention of damages and no mention of police report.

David
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jing4

and on your review at the end in the section only for Airbnb please do repeat your story in detail. Your guest won't see it, and it will back up the critical review and you in case your guest fabricates a lame excuse.