Paying via bank transfer on AirBnB

Joseph149
Level 1
Arlington, MA

Paying via bank transfer on AirBnB

Hi, a host with a listing would like me to pay via a bank transfer on AirBnB (not outside of AirBnB to a third party account). She claims that security deposits cannot be refunded back to a credit card and that the transfer would be to an AirBnB account where AirBnB will hold the full amount until the stay is completed. After that point, I'll be refunded the security deposit. I don't see an AirBnB bank transfer as an option for payment methods.

Questions:

1. Why wouldn't a deposit just be a hold on a card just like a hotel does?
  2. Is this an accepted practice?
  3. Does AirBnB truly support this type of transactions?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3
Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Joseph149 Walk away from this host and report/flag the listing. 

Airbnb doesn't support bank transfer, you cannot even transfer within the Airbnb payment. You can only use card or PayPal.

1. The safety deposit is just noted on your card. 

2. Nope. 

3. Nope. 

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Joseph149,

I agree wholeheartedly with @Monika64. Don't have anything to do with that host.

It looks like they want to get you to actually pay them the security deposit as they claim "security deposits cannot be refunded back to a credit card".

That's not the way that Airbnb security deposits work. The guest is never charged the security deposit in advance so there's no question of having to refund it. Airbnb may put a stay of that amount on the guest's card but no money is charged unless the host makes a successful claim for damages.

See this help article How does Airbnb handle security deposits?

Steve.

Hi i got this message in my inbox without a reservation.  Could this be a scam?

Hi Patricia,

We tried to send you money but there was a problem with your bank details ( Return of original statement entry #11585149. REVERSAL: Other-invalid creditor account details). Please verify your bank details and add them again as a new payout method in your Payout Preferences.

Once the new payout method is created, we will re-issue the payout.

Regards, The Airbnb Team

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I add a new payout method?