Paying via bank transfer

Serene2
Level 2
Singapore

Paying via bank transfer

I received an email (from express@mailairbnb.com) on a special offer from a host, but instead of paying to Airbnb via its website or app, the email requested to do a bank transfer to a bank account in Budapest.

However, when I log in via Airbnb website or app, I cannot see this special offer, therefore cannot pay via credit card and the Airbnb website.

Paying via bank transfer is not one of the suggested payment methods. As far as I know, all my friends were paying via credit card through the Airbnb website, none had done bank transfer before.

I had emailed Airbnb for verification on the email and payment method, but till now no reply.

Can someone help or advise?

17 Replies 17
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

This is 100% a SCAM.  Avoid and absolutely DO NOT wire any money.  Only book through Airbnb.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Serene2,

Always pay through the Airbnb website. Don't ever pay to a bank account requested by a host. It may be a scam.

As  you say, there is no record of he offer on the website so you will have no guarantee that the host will allow you to stay and Airbnb won't support you. The host might just take your money and disapppear.

This is one of the reasons why paying outside the website is not allowed by Airbnb.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

thank you much for your advice.

but one of the replies from the host seems to be an instruction from Airbnb customer service. That is why I am confused.

"Your guest, Serene, shall complete the payment by bank transfer to confirm the reservation, using the bank account information (including IBAN number - International Bank Account Number) clearly highlighted inside the email notification in question. In order to speed up the validation process, the proof of payment is also required." - Airbnb Customer Experience

Now please proceed to payment. If you are not able to complete the payment by bank transfer, please let me know, and I'll forward the special offer to another guest.

Regards
Raphael

So if I sent you an email asking you to pay into my Bank Account you would do so?

David

@Serene2

This is a scam if there is one !!  Stay clear or arrive at your destination with nowhere to stay and your funds in the hands of a fraudster.

Hello @Serene2,

That is most definitely a scam.

Airbnb will never ask you to pay to a bank account.

Even though that email might say it's from "airbnb customer experience"  it is not. Don't be taken in by the email content. Anyone can write anything there.

Valid emails from guests come from the address express@airbnb.com not express@mailairbnb.com.

Steve.

"If you are not able to complete the payment by bank transfer, please let me know, and ****I'll forward the special offer to another guest." ****

Thats a clear red flag if i ever saw one.

I just got an email from the the brother in law of the host saying yes to send a bank transfer to some place in Italy.  Email read  was from ConfirmReservation@homemail.com???  Help!!!

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Serene2,

As @Steve143@Marit-Anne0@David126, and @Cynthia-and-Chris1 said, this definitely sounds like a scam.

There is a useful Help Guide here which explains how to recognise whether emails are actually from Airbnb or not - it's worth saving it and checking whenever you're not sure! 

Kirstie

Hi Kirstie (or the current Online Community Manager)

Unfortunately I was not as lucky when I saw a property listed on Agoda.com.au I trusted that they have done their homework before a property is approved for publishing on their website. I and many other vicitims have our money stolen and our holiday ruined by this fake website.

I do not understand why if this was a known scam travel websites like Agoda and AirBnB is not taking their corporate responsibility to alert and protect consumers from these criminals. Even minute this website is live there's victims from all around the world losing their money.

Surely if CushyBnB is trying to piggy back their brand name off AirBnB something more can be done than just relying on consumers to read a help guide to protect ourselves when the priority and goal should be to prevent more victims who unfortunately will read this a little too late and no amount of help will get my $700 back or make me feel better until this website is removed offline. It may only save a handful of victims before they rebrand and restart a new scam but if we do nothing then we are all responsible for making the internet such a easy target for these criminals.

Wei-Ling

~ Recent scam victim/Unemployed/Long-term depression/Social justice advocate

Lamia8
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

I Feel I am having the same issue. I was asked to make payment through bank transfer and I am unable to find the property or host through the website. Only through the link they posted.  http://airbnb.ie-rooms9020914longlet.ukverified.area.lv/index.php/en/home/index/133 

@Lamia8 That is a Scam! Do not send them ANYTHING! Airbnb DOES NOT DO BANK TRANSFERS! 

They only take credit cards. 

Jamie478
Level 2
Camarillo, CA

Airbnb promted me to wire funds on a long term rental. What's up

@Jamie478  Airbnb doesn't do that. You are dealing with a scammer and a fake Airbnb look-alike site.