Payment for booking if a guest cancels

Debbie252
Level 1
Newbury, United Kingdom

Payment for booking if a guest cancels

Hello,

I'm new to Airbnb, but have been renting my villa in Montenegro for 12 years through other advertising methods.

I have always taken a 25% deposit to secure bookings, with the remainder being paid 8 weeks before arrival, I also take a £300 security deposit which is refunded at the end of a guest stay (subject to no damages). My cancellation policy has been full refund if cancelled 8 weeks before scheduled arrival, but no refund if less than 8 weeks (unless I can get the villa rebooked).  

I have set my cancellation policy to 'strict' - which will give 50% refund upto 1 week prior to arrival - Does this mean I will get paid 50% of the booking in this instance or 100% of the booking if a guest cancels within 7 days of arrival?

Based on past experience, it is highly unlikely that I will get 'last minute' bookings, with most of my bookings being made at least 2 months in advance, does this mean that potentially with Airbnb I could end up losing money if a guest cancels upto 1 week prior to arrival and my villa doesn't get rebooked?  Is there anyway round this?  I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences using the Airbnb payment system as it is very different to what I've been used.

Many thanks

Debbie 

4 Replies 4
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Debbie252. As for the way round, there is none because Airbnb prohibits any payments outside the platform.

And you can find the updated cancellation policies here: https://www.airbnb.com/home/updated_cancellation_policies

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Debbie252, you ask "Does this mean I will get paid 50% of the booking in this instance or 100% of the booking if a guest cancels within 7 days of arrival?"

The short answer: Yes.

The slightly longer answer: Yes, unless the guest has an extenuating circumstance (or convinces AirBnB they have an extenuating circumstance).

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Debbie252 I think you should read as much as possible here in the CC about how ABB is different from what you're used to. 

You may enjoy ABB IF you are able to realize that they are what they are and there is only so much you can control. 

How do you get invited to action the 60 day notice policy. Like you we have always had a 2 month period where you do not get a refund.