Payment

Answered!
Christine194
Level 2
Fallbrook, CA

Payment

I had a lady yesterday trying to book the night with me but wanting to pay cash.  I thought this was a bit fishy but she kept emailing me that she was going to the bank.  Finally, after her emailing me four or five times and then begging me have her stay, I thought it safer to Decline her stay here as I thought if she knew the Airbnb rules she'd know that paying cash was not allowed.  Even after I Declined her she continued to beg me to have her stay.  

I wrote several times to Airbnb asking for their help when this was going on and nobody has yet answered - that was yesterday 7/23/16!! 

What is going on?  When I have a question as a hostess that requires a quick answer, especially when it is regarding safety, who do I ask?  Unless I get answers to questions I think important right away from Airbnb I think I'm not going to rent as it is just dangerous having people one doesn't know in one's house and especially knowing that if there is a problem I cannot contact Airbnb and get an immediate answer to my questions.

Christine

1 Best Answer
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Christine194

Don't do it when people try to go around the system. Accepting cash is not according to Airbnb and if you host somebody like that, then not only are you in no way backed by Airbnb but are also working against them and according to their regulations you may even be suspended.

Often new hosts are targeted by such requests because word seems to have gotten around that they are more susceptible to take the bait out of inexperience.

You can flag such persons, also anybody threatening to leave a bad review or being inappropriate by reporting them via the little gray flag top corner on their message and giving the reason. For good measure I also report/flag such people's profile for good measure to get Airbnb's attention. They won't get back to you but will look into it.j

This is why correspondance should stay on the messaging page. As paper trail in case needed.

It's a bit of a search on the convoluted site to get proper contact info. For now - type 'contact Airbnb' into the search box on this community for previous threads (there are MANY) on how to directly get in touch by phone, Twitter etc. quickly. And then put Airbnb on speed dial for emergencies such as this.

It is also strongly commended that new hosts surf around their listing settings and the website as well as go back in this forum to instruct themselves on the ins and outs, the possibilities, and the problems that may arise while hosting and how to smartly counter them without falling back into panic. Being prepared is having solved half the issue!

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Christine194

Don't do it when people try to go around the system. Accepting cash is not according to Airbnb and if you host somebody like that, then not only are you in no way backed by Airbnb but are also working against them and according to their regulations you may even be suspended.

Often new hosts are targeted by such requests because word seems to have gotten around that they are more susceptible to take the bait out of inexperience.

You can flag such persons, also anybody threatening to leave a bad review or being inappropriate by reporting them via the little gray flag top corner on their message and giving the reason. For good measure I also report/flag such people's profile for good measure to get Airbnb's attention. They won't get back to you but will look into it.j

This is why correspondance should stay on the messaging page. As paper trail in case needed.

It's a bit of a search on the convoluted site to get proper contact info. For now - type 'contact Airbnb' into the search box on this community for previous threads (there are MANY) on how to directly get in touch by phone, Twitter etc. quickly. And then put Airbnb on speed dial for emergencies such as this.

It is also strongly commended that new hosts surf around their listing settings and the website as well as go back in this forum to instruct themselves on the ins and outs, the possibilities, and the problems that may arise while hosting and how to smartly counter them without falling back into panic. Being prepared is having solved half the issue!

Thank you so much Andrea for your email I had no idea that renters look for inexperienced hosts to see if they can get round the rules.  Thank heavens I remembered that paying cash wasn't allowed or the woman would be in my house NOW!!  I will flag her emails to me - there are 5 of them BEGGING me to rent to her - what the hell?

All this aside I am really worried that Airbnb is not really there for me as a hostess in case of an emergency and trying to find my way around their convoluted website, looking for help/information, is a bit of a nightmare especially if I am in a hurry to Accept or Decline a renter.  I think that unless I know I can contact them in an emergency and get good advice, I'll not rent as it isn't worth the worry of not knowing whether they will help me when I really need them and having really 'iffy' people in my home.

Christine.

Thank you Andrea for your response to my concern however you write:

'It is also strongly commended that new hosts surf around their listing settings and the website as well as go back in this forum to instruct themselves on the ins and outs, the possibilities, and the problems that may arise while hosting and how to smartly counter them without falling back into panic. Being prepared is having solved half the issue!'

Going back to this forum to instruct myself on the ins and outs etc. when there is someone, metaphorically speaking, banging at my door to come in, doesn't help much.  I have read and re-read all the instructions Airbnb give their hosts and if you refuse to accept a 'guest' you are penaliazed - no pressure there.  Now you tell me that 'new hosts' should expect 'difficulties' when renters find out I've not hosted before, thanks a lot for the (late) warning and where does it tell me about this in the instructions?   So telling me to 'be prepared and not to panic' doesn't help.  

I wrote my first post on this Community Center MONTHS ago and finally some kind person gave me the phone #s to get hold of Airbnb but someone else has suggested that I use Booking.com and I will.  I don't mind paying more in commission to them if I know that there may be a problem with a 'vistor' I can contact the company immediately so they can give me some quick advice.  

You may ask why, months later I am still so fired up about not being able to contact Airbnb when I needed them, the answer is that I am warning other 'new hosts' that they will be inviting strangers into their home, not their office or other place of business, their home so I think Airbnb have a responsibility to be at the end of a phone when they are needed. They are in business for heavens sakes, taking your money.  

Airbnb are virtually impossible to contact and deny any responsibility when you get to speak to anyone who knows what you are talking sbout

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

In way you know the answer and you did the right thing - you decline the booking. What's annoying is that there is no way of blocking a guest like this from constantly contacting you. 

Best way to reach AirBnB is via Twitter - nearly immediate response. You can also click on the flag beside the guest's name and it will be reviewed in due course.

Thank you so much for your answer to my post, I don't use Twitter or Facebook etc as they are so invasive.

I will flag the emails this woman sent me, 5 in all but would really like to know that Airbnb have my back when I really need help.

Christine

Sean43
Level 1
Fenagh, Ireland

Hi Team

I had a couple stay with me on 7/8 May. I still have not been paid.

It shows up in my transaction history.

Could you please check this out for me.

Thanking you.

Sean Reynolds

@Sean43, sorry Sean, we are the forum and not the team. can olny hold your metaphorical hand and offer tea and empathy. 

Your money will probably turn up soon, it is sometimes like santa, gotta go the long way round and delayed by weekends and public holidays.

If your transactions details show you have been paid, then check the account details you have registered with Airbnb, as it may be that you are looking in one of your bank accounts when instead its going into the other. So check which account you nominated for your money to be deposited into... 

Read the Help centre FAQ's under payments, for more info on what happens with the money go round, and look at your transaction history via your dashboard as well. 

: )

Christine.

Dear Christine,

I just read your response and "Santa" is a poor metaphor for extremely poor business and communication management on the part of Air BNB.  Homeaway, VRBO and other competitors do NOT DROP the ball on assistance and leve it up to the host to wait on Santa.  No, this is extremly poor business when we as hosts are opening our homes and yes, trusting both clients and AIR BNB to be honest, timely and businesslike.  Santa is in the North Pole.  This is serious business and should be treated as such.

OK Sean, Now I'm scared.  Still have not been paid?  This is not right and it is not good business.

I have people in my home right now who have not paid the addition for dogs and extra last minute booking.  I've spent HOURS trying to get something resolved from Air BNB and also a response from the guests.  Nothing.  I feel really sad that I am left with all the work of trying to communicate.

This is truly poor business on the part of Air BNB.

I want an email reply on this.  I didn't see the check until I pressed post.

HUMAN interface is still a modum operendi is successful business.  This read the help nonsense is a very flaky way to run a business.  If I do not get an appropriate and direct telephone response from a manage by the time these clients move out, I will cancel all future business with Air BNB.

This has take me HOURS and still there is no resolve.  I'm deeply disappointed in AIR BNB.

Kelly65
Level 6
Brisbane, Australia

This is a common theme with Air B & B... Firstly they make it quite difficult to even find out how to contact them, then when you do, you get either no response, or a response, days to weeks later. Very unprofessional. Booking.com charge more commissions, but at least you get prompt support from them.

Dears, 

I am  a  new  host , and   10   business  days  passed after  my  guests   checked  out  and  I  didn't  get payment   from Air  BNB  , and  I  do not  understand   how  Air  BNB works, no  response  for  my emails. What is  going  on, Air  bnb    cheat  me  and   took my money  or  what ???????????????

I am asking the same question.  I just had my first booking.  When does the payment come?  When they check in or before.  Is the full amount charged for the entire time?

Elizabeth