Payouts to Multiple Co-Hosts

Kyle81
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

Payouts to Multiple Co-Hosts

I have multiple co-hosts who help manage my house (AirBnB allows up to 3 co-hosts per listing).  I want to pay a percentage of my earnings to Co-Host Missy, and a percentage of my earnings to Co-Host Jim.  Makes sense, right? They're both working towards the profitability of the house, so they both should earn.

The AirBnB website only allows for one of them to receive a payout.  This should be fixed.  Apparently the issue has been raised to higher levels of tech support as "highly urgent" but that was about 5 days ago...still no fix.

The problem with this is that I am now earning money for hosting, but only one of my co-hosts receives a direct payout (which will be reported on her W-2 at the end of the year as "earnings").  The other co-host is not receiving a direct payout.  Therefore, I have to PayPal the other co-host cash-money...cash that I'm getting taxed on at the end of the year on W-2, but I'm not truly "earning" it, since I have to enact the payout to the deserving Co-Host.  This would all be very avoidable, of course, if AirBnB would just fix its website to allow direct payouts to more than one co-host.

The AirBnB case manager informed me that I'm the only person in the AirBnB World who wants to do split payouts to multiple co-hosts, and I'm curious...has anyone else had this problem?  

5 Replies 5

@Kyle81 - You can split money between multiple people: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/320/how-do-i-split-income-between-multiple-people

And from a tax perspective, you can write off payments to the second co-host from your earnings and provide them with a 1099 at the end of the year just like  you would a cleaner or maintenance person or someone who provides lawn care.  It's an expense against the business.  

If you pay a co-host just your "cleaning fee" through airbnb will they provide them with the appropriate tax form or do I have to give her a 1099? 

Igor98
Level 2
Paris, France

My question is a little different. If I have two co-host for the same house, one working from January to mars and the other one from August to october. How can I have only one listing and split the revenues for each period to each co-host?

Fully support your request. Same issue for me, 2 or 3 co-hosts over a year, depending on the period (their availabilities), with no possibility to set this up.

Airbnb, please support our request !

Dustin52
Level 1
Portland, OR

I have the same exact problem.  I am a co-host for a friend.  I do a lot of maintenence and dealing with guests for the listing, but I have someone else clean, someone that I found and setup, and we made them an additional co-host in order to pay them the cleaning fee directly.  Makes sense right!!?? Apparently not.   Why would you have the ability to have multiple co-host, and the ability to pay a percentage, but only to 1?  What scenario makes limiting co-host payouts advantagous?

Please Fix this, it makes absolutely no sense.