Paypal charged me twice for $2,200! Unable to convince AirBnB!

Robert4975
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Paypal charged me twice for $2,200! Unable to convince AirBnB!

I had made a reservation a in late August for a month's stay in New Mexico (aug 25) ; and cancelled it a day later and received a full refund to PayPal as the agreement specifies. That part is fine.

Then on Sept 1st the $2,200 was put through again and deducted from my Bank (as a "paypal retry"). This was for the precise same amount as the original. PayPal has no record of this on its end (I filed a claim in its Resolution Center and it said it "resolved" it by saying it could not do anything)--AirBnB is asking for documentation from my bank that has the actual reservation code, which of course the Bank is not privy to! I have put a claim in to my bank but this is going to take a couple of weeks and in the meantime, my regular bank account is extremely low because I am "missing" that $2,200.

Does anyone have any theories as to why this could have happened (so I can narrow down the responsible entity) and more importantly what I can do about it? I have been working with AirBnB's support now for a few days, but I just keep getting referred to "another group" that can handle it, and they are still unable to get the "proof" they need that this was their charge.

Help!--thank you!

Bob, Rochester NY

2 Replies 2
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

this is why i do not do paypal! i go through my business banking account because no one can withdraw but only deposit. i would switch and go through banking - if you do not have bank account sign up for a business account separate form personal account. hope things work out for you! Good Luck!

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Robert4975

@Robert4975 did this get resolved? What did you figure out in the end? I just had a guest who got a full refund and then noticed she was charged instead of refunded. So I’m curious.