Personal Injury to guest

Personal Injury to guest

I was at a friends party at an airbnb in September 2017. I was standing in the driveway when I was struck with a vehicle. The persons vehicle ended up driving up the curb and smashing my leg. I had to have skin graft surgery and was in and out of the hospital for months. Also had to learn how to walk again. Is there any airbnb insurance to cover my financial expenses???

15 Replies 15

@Kyra0,

It sounds like you should be pursuing either the driver of the vehicle or your friend.

The driver of the vehicle is the one who hit you.

Your friend is the one who was throwing the party.

It sounds like you were not even inside the Airbnb listing.

(Were you even one of the registered guests of that Airbnb listing?

Or were you just at a party thrown by someone who rented the place?)

Why in the world would Airbnb be the first one to look to for insurance coverage?

Obviously I wasn't inside the property if I was struck by a vehicle. Cars arent usually inside of houses. I was still on the property ifthe incident literally took place right outside the front door.  And this isn't the first place I looked for insurance coverage. Is it illegal to explore all my options? I've done everything you suggested already so thanks for your unhelpful comment. 

Had you given information about the other insurance options you have explored, and the results, then those responding would know you had already explored those options. As you have said you aren’t even friends with the person hosting the party, then perhaps you should not have been on the property. This is clearly not Airbnb’s responsibility or the homeowner’s responsibility. Looks like it’s your responsibility and the driver’s responsibility. It make the most sense to go through the driver’s auto insurance. 

@Kyra0,

Nobody is happy that you were hurt, and I'm sure everyone would like you to get some help.

You did not say anything about having sought compensation from anyone else in your message, so I am sorry that I didn't know things that you did not mention.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that anyone thought it was "illegal" to ask about this; I certainly don't see anyone saying that.

I wish you the best of luck in finding help.

The man's question is valid. How is Airbnb liable in your case? Were you an Airbnb guest? See if there is no connection at all to Airbnb (you are neither host or guest) but you want them to be liable, well that's the problem that Airbnb is so on lockdown about.

Also, yours is the first example of unkindness I've seen her. It had not been a thoroughly unrefreshing experience until then. Now you may want to attack me, like the gentleman who asked honest question and replied in a way you are not comfortable with. The onus is on you. Wear it well, toss it off, but don't attack. That's never the way to help and resolution, and you do not know when your written statements may come back to haunt you.

@Kandi1  Hi. I recently had a similar slip & fall experience, and inured my lower back, and right eye. I have a detached retina, and am at risk of losing my vision in  that eye. I would like to chat with you, if you can spare the time. russellkeith58@gmail.com. I hope you've resolved your issue. I know it's been a long time. Thanks.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Russell247 

if you had an accident on an Airbnb property where you are a guest get in touch with the host and ask them to put in a claim

on  Airbnb’s inability insurance. If you were hut by a car you will need to claim on a car owner’s insurance. 

Please only comment if you have dealt with personal injury on airbnb property before. I am a 21 year whose life was literally altered from this incident. Please do not be rude when responding. I am well aware of OTHER INSURANCE OPTIONS. This is specifically for airbnb. I am not friends with the person whose party it was therefore I need to find out more information. THANK YOU. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you explain to us why you are not making a claim against the driver who caused this devastating injury to you? Surely there is a police report of the incident and the claim can therefore be made against their insurance.

Unfortunately the only person who is being rude on this thread is yourself.

Can you explain why you feel Airbnb has any liability in this situation, where you were not the guest who had booked and paid to be at the property?

Airbnb liability insurance is for guests who have booked and paid to stay at a property. As you were on the property without permission, you would not be covered.

Even if he was a Guest there is no Motor Insurance provided by AirBnB, it is a imited liability insurance that relates to the Hosts Public liability arising out of the premises. Not any cars driving around.

David

Not sure why you'd think ABB insurance is even an option. While I am sorry you experienced such a terrible accident, ABB insurance doesn't cover random accidents like yours, especially considering it did not even happen IN the house AND technically you are not a (paying/registered) "guest" in the eyes on ABB.

I remember seeing a post a while back where the ABB guest was drunk and plowed their car into a neighbor's home - ABB insurance refused to cover this as well.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB does not provide any Auto Liability cover, your claim would be against the Driver who hit you.

David
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi Kyra,

You wrote:

"Please do not be rude when responding"

As it looks the situation You describe is one of the most hated

situations an airbnb host can get in: Someone books an airbnb

for 6 people, throws a party, often against the explicit rules in

the listing that say "no parties" and then 20 "friends" come by to

participate.

Don't expect much help from this community.

Kandi1
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

My story is like yours. I finally got Airbnb to sent me this link. https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/form

Note the words in the link read "insurance form". I haven't filed the info. yet, but in case you want to.

Secondly, we need to file a class-action lawsuit. All of us with stories, experience, etc. Somewhere there has to be a lawyer unafraid enough to help.