Personal Property Tax Requirement in Washington State--what to list?

Laurel38
Level 2
Felton, CA

Personal Property Tax Requirement in Washington State--what to list?

I started hosting on AirBnB last November in Washington State. I aquired the home through family and the home that I host at is not my primary residence. I go there about 1 week per month to deal with business. Otherwise, it is all AirBnB. I have a business license in Washington State and report my income from AirbBnB accordingly.

Washington State has a personal property requirement, where I am supposed to list and pax taxes on all of the items I use for my business. I'm not sure what level of detail I need to include. All sheets, towels, soap, cleaning supplies, etc? The price of the house? Most of the furnishings previously belonged to my family and I inherited them...how to place a value on that? Any ideas?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

Hi Laurel,

I host an 'entire home' out of Spokane Washington.   I am not very familiar with the personal property tax in Washington (looks like I'll need to explore that issue further), but here's a link from the Washington Department of Revenue on the topic:  https://dor.wa.gov/doing-business/business-types/industry-specific-guides/restaurants-and-retailers-...

I hope this helps!  

Laurel38
Level 2
Felton, CA

Thanks Hilary. I also host an 'entire home' out of Spokane, WA. 

When inquiring with the DOR about this, they say that any items I've purchased for my AirBnB need to be included and reported on this personal property tax form. They said I don't have to do one for this year, since this is my first year of running my business. (I have a business license for my AirBnb).

Specifically, they say everything like towels, linens, supplies other than consumables, etc. need to be included. This seems like quite a challenge and wondering if others are reporting and paying this tax and if so, on what?

Laurel 

Karen1236
Level 2
Washington, DC

I would think if you are buying items within your "business", it will be an expense for the business, NOT personal property. This would apply possibly if you used your own personal items in the house. I will check with my tax advisor.