Personally Identifying Information in Guest Review - Violation of policy?

Robert1748
Level 2
Durham, NC

Personally Identifying Information in Guest Review - Violation of policy?

I've had a guest write a favorable review in which they included personal identifying information (my middle and last name) in the opening sentence. I've contacted Abnb support in an effort to have my last name removed from the review. My requests were met initially with an acknowledgment that placing my last name in the review violates Abnb's content policy, which I believe it does - specifically -

• Content that is sufficient to identify a listing’s location or other content that may pose a personal safety risk to an Airbnb community member

A search query using my last name and the town allows members of the public to locate my address and other personal information. This poses a risk to booked visitors whose whereabouts could be discovered as well as to me.  Reviews are publicly displayed portions of an Airbnb listing. 

Airbnb representatives have told me they could delete the entire review, however, removing the review doesn't promote Airbnb or me as a host.   

All Airbnb representatives agreed that the matter seemed to be a problem for management review except the "manager" who I last had contact with. That "manager" insisted the review did not violate any Airbnb policy, then informed me nothing would be done, ended our call, and immediately forwarded a link to the Airbnb Content Policy. 

My position is this -  At  https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy  it appears providing a host's full name in a review is a violation of Airbnb's Content Policy. I feel Airbnd should remove only the last name from the review, preserving the rest of it.

I have four questions for our Airbnb community -

1. Can the personal information be used to locate my property, putting my guests and myself at risk?
  2. Does the inclusion of personally identifying information in a guest review violate Airbnb content standards?
  3. Does Airbnb have a responsibility to remove personally identifying information from guest reviews without removing the entire review?
  4. If Airbnb is unable to remove only the personal identifying last name without removing the review entirely - Shouldn't Airbnb look at its policies relative to scenarios such as this?

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robert1748 

As far as I know from other posts about the same issue - Airbnb will remove the entire review and will leave only the star rating.

I think for you should be more important to have your name removed then to save 1 review.

Branka & Silvia1 thank you for your response.

- Leaving the last name in the review poses a risk to guests in that personal data about me is easily found on the internet with a simple search using the name and town.

- It is important for Airbnb and its hosts to have the benefit of positive reviews.

- Removing the post entirely is counterproductive to the purpose of the reviews.

In messaging features and other areas of the Airbnb site algorithms are used to block out personal identifying information, so it is surprising to see the practice isn't in place in the review section.

The Airbnb Content Policy clearly states two things that appear to apply to the post. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy

1. We reserve the right to remove any content, in whole or part, that violates these guidelines, our Terms of Service, our Community Standards, or for any other reason at our sole discretion.

2.  The following content is never allowed on Airbnb:

• Content that is sufficient to identify a listing’s location or other content that may pose a personal safety risk to an Airbnb community member

I feel the inclusion of my last name in the review content is a violation of the policy, and that Airbnb is able to remove only my last name from the review, leaving the rest of the review intact.

Do these positions seem logical?