Pet Fees

Matt3899
Level 1
Rolla, MO

Pet Fees

So, all my research on adding the ability to charge a pet fee indicates there has been, and appears to be, no interest from AirBnB. May I ask why? We all have pets and we all love pets. But, having to clean up after a pet is time consuming; therefore costing more.

None of us want to be the bad guy by having to reach out and request additional monies after a guest has booked. Similarly, due to the above statement, I don't want to be the bad guy and refuse the option for guests to bring their pets. 

Please explain why this topic hits a brick wall.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Matt3899 

This issue may be going to @HAB 

@HostingAdvisoryBoard

Its an important topic that others are also raising including by  @Emily-And-Virginia0  who I mention so you can form an alliance in the matter of, repectfully, progressing this. 

Very best wishes from Mary.

@Matt3899 you may wish to look at the thread produced by Virginia and perhaps add your comments too. This will likely soon be receiving attention - although other matters might be prioritised first, adding your name can only help with the petition.

Hope this helps. Just to explain we are in the process of supporting an intermediary group of 'representative members' who are behind the scenes observing the most pressing/popular issues and selecting those to be brought forward for the attention of the Executive through a working process. A resolution is very much needed. And your responsible and creative thoughts are invited to my thread ...follow link via my bio (which I had to create due to interference on the original thread).

A pet deposit that has teeth (!! and that maybe bites!! and barks??) is one proposal, in the alternative  those taking in dogs might reasonably be expected to arrange independent Insurance themselves (currently the conclusion drawn by participants in my working thread), since, as with the Host Guarantee scheme, excessive calls upon the service (which has been tightened up so as to be much more difficult to secure) is a likely consequence with an impact on the wider membership such as increases to our overall levy. If you are a constructive person able to contribute as if you were actually a part of the Leadership (as I see ourselves)... do please come into the working thread on the matter and put forward your ideas to make this work...!  xxx

Gabriele196
Level 3
Portland, OR

The pet fee issue is the most frustrating one for guests and hosts. And on top of it the Resolution Center lacks clear instructions for guests on how to accept a payment request. My guests just want to pay the fee and get on with it. But no, Airbnb is making it super difficult for hosts and guests to add a pet fee and get it paid. I thought this was all about a positive guest and host experience. Well, when it comes to the pet fee it unfortunately is not. The easiest solution would be to add a pet fee option at the time of booking. I do not understand why Airbnb is chasing to continue to frustrate guest and hosts with not offering that option. And chasing not to offer this option, I would at least offer clear Resolution Center instructions for guests on how to accept a payment request.  In addition as a host whenever I ask the HelpCenter to assist a guest with the Resolution Center I get the response "sorry your guest has to contact us". Well that just simply sucks all the way through. 

Anyway, here's what I figured out on my own with the mystery resolution center. The guest cannot accept a payment request via their app. They have to log into their Airbnb account on the website in order to accept the resolution center payment request. Another layer of complexity for especially the first-time guest. I wonder how many first-timers get so frustrated that they'll never book through Airbnb again.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

We’re very happy to share some details with you that have been recently announced! In the following weeks, Hosts will finally be able to add a Pet fee to their listing. 🙌 🐕

We really appreciate your feedback, so please share with the Community your first impressions on the new feature once it has launched. We look forward to hearing what you think. 😊

Thanks,

Liv