Pet friendly search option missing

Answered!
Michelle2867
Level 5
Greenville, NC

Pet friendly search option missing

Is there any way to put back the pet friendly search option??? For the last 2-3 months I have noticed it is missing when I look for accommodations through Air BnB. (You can see within the listing under House Rules for this option but the search filter is missing.)

I am an Air BnB guest and we have 3 pets. Unlike human children, which we were not able to have, we most often need accommodations that give us permission to bring our pets. Most hosts do not allow pets (understandably) but it very tedious to search for pet friendly Air BnB options because of this. I have begun to look elsewhere for some stays over the past 2 months. 

I can also see the frustration pet-friendly hosts may have in this matter. Guests cannot find the pet-friendly homes/stays easily and may give up searching thru Air BnB because of a lack of a search option. Anyone reading, please help if I am missing an update regarding pets too. Are all hosts now required to allow pets and that's why the search feature was removed?

Kindly, Michelle

PS. I have posted this concern directly to AirBnB but never received a response.

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michelle2867 When you search, add your pets to your search parameters. Pet-friendly options will appear.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 8.29.06 PM.png

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle2867  No, all hosts are not required to accept pets.

When Airbnb instituted the new pet fee option on the booking forms, they eliminated the pet filter, a really dumb move. And yes, it's just as bad a change for hosts as for guests.

Giving them negative feedback on this is about all you can do. If enough guests do that, maybe they will put the pet filter back.

Thanks Sarah! I rarely leave comments or reviews with anyone but this one has really bugged me. Hopefully Air BnB can find a win-win solution for everyone! 🙂

@Michelle2867 “I rarely leave comments or reviews with anyone” 

Not related to your question, as that’s been addressed already, but hopefully you are leaving reviews for your stays. Reviews are vital for your hosts. 

Hi Colleen! Yes, I leave reviews with my hosts. I was referring to  google/restaurant/product reviews. Thank you for asking. 😄

@Michelle2867  Yes, the whole review thing is way over the top, when people are now asked to review everything from their manicure to the place that changed their tires. 

I also think it leads to too many people thinking their opinion is so important, even if they really have nothing particularly informative or intelligent to say.  (Which also goes along with the whole reality TV thing, where people with no particular skills or talents for anything but self-promption become some kind of celebrities).

I mean, of what practical value is a review that only says, "This  place sucks" ? 🙂

@Michelle2867 This is a frustration for hosts and guests alike. Hosts who have put a lot of work into making their homes pet-friendly feel really shafted too.

Airbnb doesn't technically require all hosts to accept "pets" - rather, it encourages guests to use the "emotional support" loophole to call Fido an assistance animal and then requires hosts to exempt him from their pet restrictions or fees. So it's the same thing as a requirement, only more dirty and devious.

I love traveling with dogs, but I look only for places that openly welcome them - not ones that are bullied into it. This is why I'm no longer booking with Airbnb. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michelle2867 When you search, add your pets to your search parameters. Pet-friendly options will appear.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 8.29.06 PM.png

Thank you so much Emilia! This will help tremendously in my search for a pet friendly home!

I was intrigued by the "Bringing an assistance animal" link and clicked on it to read more info. From what I gather all hosts are now required to accept pets if they are called an ESA. As a landlady/rental property owner myself, I have found that just about anyone can turn a beloved pet into an emotional support animal. This is sad because there are very real cases for service animals with those who for example, have severe anxiety. Sadly, I have witnessed and overheard conversations of people who abuse this new rule to get's pets into homes so they won't need to pay fees or depostis.  I can see where this could be very troublesome for many hosts as most did not accept pets when I've looked for bookings in the past. I hope we do not lose many good hosts because they they can no longer say no to guest's pets/ESA in the host's own home.

@Michelle2867  It has always been Airbnb policy that hosts have to accept ESAs and service animals (the exception is hosts with shared spaces, who can say no to all animals if it poses a health or safety risk).

What is new is this place to enter the number of pets on the booking form, along with that wording about ESAs, which is so blatantly designed to encourage all guests to try to claim their pet is an ESA. 

As you say, it's a really bad situation, because it makes a mockery of those who really do need service animals. Hosts who wouldn't have any issues with accepting true, well-trained service animals and ESAs don't want to be open to animals at all because so many pet owners lie without conscience just so they can bring Fido with them everywhere. So the hosts look like the bad  guys, when it's the lying pet owners who have created this situation. 

There's been plenty of outcry from hosts about this, but Airbnb obviously doesn't care. 

Gary1027
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

As a host and a traveller I would love them have a category "Pet Friendly" in addition to "Pets Allowed" as there is often a big difference. We have booked a place only to find the pets allowed meant a dog run 50m from the house. Our Airbnb is Pet Friendly and you have your pet with you in the home as we truly welcome them. I believe travellers would really love to know their pet is really welcome.

Ursula101
Level 2
Beatenberg, Switzerland

Not having a pets allowed search filter is neither good for accommodations that allow pets nor those searching for such accommodations.  The new number of pets option is fine, but there must also be a pets allowed filter.

Stacy322
Level 1
Palos Verdes Estates, CA

I abhor that they removed the pet filter. This is a remarkably stupid decision that infuriates all who loved airbnb for their early days approach to providing a way to travel with your dog. VRBO lets you filter by the way - head there because this is too much of a time waster to figure out. 

thank you for this time saving info.  Also a pet owner😡