Pet policy

Answered!
Skip--N-Kathy0
Level 2
Carrabelle, FL

Pet policy

How do we stop the policy of allowing pets?

Cannot find in our materials.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Skip--N-Kathy0  You check "No pets" in your house rules. Good to mention in your description as well, and reiterate in messages to guests when they request a booking.

On your entire house listing, you can't refuse service animals or so-called emotional support animals, and the guest doesn't have to disclose them when booking, but there are two questions you are allowed to ask if they do mention it, or show up with one, and standard rules regarding the animal not being left alone and being housebroken, so you should read up on those in the Airbnb info on service animals. Lots of pet owners lie about it being a service animal, so this is a common source of irritation for hosts. 

In your private room listings, if you share the house with guests, you can also refuse the service animals and ESAs, so make sure to state that in your listing.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Skip--N-Kathy0  You check "No pets" in your house rules. Good to mention in your description as well, and reiterate in messages to guests when they request a booking.

On your entire house listing, you can't refuse service animals or so-called emotional support animals, and the guest doesn't have to disclose them when booking, but there are two questions you are allowed to ask if they do mention it, or show up with one, and standard rules regarding the animal not being left alone and being housebroken, so you should read up on those in the Airbnb info on service animals. Lots of pet owners lie about it being a service animal, so this is a common source of irritation for hosts. 

In your private room listings, if you share the house with guests, you can also refuse the service animals and ESAs, so make sure to state that in your listing.

Yea total bs!

Guest showed up with service dog. Didn’t say a word prior to coming and I have a no pet policy

I have been asking for two years now for Airbnb to put a tick box for people bringing pets.  I am dog friendly in my home.  The only home for miles around that is so most people arrive with dogs.  I wish to charge $10 per night per dog.  The only way i can do this is to go to Resolution Centre after they have booked to request more money.  So unprofessional.  Why cant Airbnb put a tick box that automatically charges for dogs.  shouldn’t be too hard with all the other features that they come up with.   Have discussed this numerous times with various representatives. Nothing happens 

Naomi370
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I agree I have asked them to do the same. It’s unfair to host. I had a guest bring 3 dogs one was extremely large, when I only accept up to 2 pets with weight restrictions she didn’t disclose until 2 days after check in they caused so much damage. I never would have accepted the reservation had I known beforehand. 

Now we have pet fee added to the pricing, however it is lump sum pet fee per total stay. The way it works now it is the same cost for a guest who has only one pet and stays only one night and as it is for someone who brings 5 pets and stays 3 months. Nonsense. The pet fee should be per pet and per night. Wear and tear for one pet for one night is not the same as for example 2, 4 or 5 pets for 3, 4 or 5 nights or longer. It is not just cleaning cost that needs to be covered, these pets sleep on beds, sit on sofas and chairs, scratch doors, floors, carpets... not the same for one pet for one day and more pets for longer period. 

Also when somebody is trying to book my room, below there is a note:
"This place has a maximum of 4 guests, not including infants. If you're bringing more than 2 pets, please let your host know".
Are they trying to say to my guests they can bring up to 2 pets without me knowing they are bringing pets into my property. I must know who is coming and who they are bringing. For any pet, be it dog, cat, bird, pig or snake or elephant that may be a pet to someone... I must know if they are bringing anybody or any pets. Are they encouraging guests to bring any animal they want without telling me as long as it is up to two animals and they call them pets. Nonsense. I wanted to accommodate people with pets however the way they are setting it up is going to cause issues. Otherwise I will have to change my policy and not allow pets at all as I can see problems happening the way it is set up for now.

I am still struggling with pet fee. I had a lady last night with one dog, checked in at 7PM and left this morning at 6AM. And I have a booking from January for 75 days, a lady with three dogs. How do I set up pet fee the way it is structured to reflect the difference in these two situations. Do you think two of them should pay the same pet fee? According to policy now they should pay the same. Nonsense.

@Tomislav50  It's simple. Stop allowing pets. If Airbnb is so clueless that they think hosts are going to be okay with their ridiculous new pet fee implementation, the only way they will pay attention and change it is if hosts stop accepting pets.

I don't quite understand why you have no charge for the first pet anyway nor why you charge so little for more than one.

My location and type of property provides opportunity to cater to pet owners and I allow one pet free. Thinking that demand, if increased, is going to adjust the rate thru potential room rate increase.  Did not want to have somebody bring 5 pets unless compensated. Would love to charge more but where I am would not make it competitive. Regardless it is all subject to adjustment depending on demand anyway.