Pet rule broken

Answered!
Michele255
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Pet rule broken

We just had our 2nd guest come and go after 3 nights in our guest house (which is not on our home property).

We have a 'No Pet' rule as we are sensitive to those having allergies.  I was not able to meet our guest when she checked in/out.  We also had so leave town the day she left so I was not able to do a detailed look around the house.  When I was able to go in and clean, I found a cat toy, cat dander in multiple places, small traces of kitty litter, few dry food kibbles, and 1 turd.  It has been frustrating as there was more laundry involved to remove the cat dander.

We did not put in a pet fee as we felt our rule would be respected.  Do I have any recourse with this guest at all?  I will definitly be adding an additional fee to curtail/prevent future guests from sneaking in pets.

She has not yet written a review for us and I am not sure how to write hers as I am very disappointed.

Michele

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michele255

Review the guest and say they brought a pet into the property which resulted in additional cleaning.

If you include a fee going forward that means you are going to accept pet - do you really want to do that?

AirBnB does not allow hosts to 'fine' guests for breaking house rules. You have to prove damage - so the only way to get money for extra cleaning is to use a professional company and try to claim the money back for that cleaning. So your $400 fine is unenforceable, however having there in your rules may dissauade anyone thinking of bringing a pet from doing so.

Good luck

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's worth checking your CCTV when you know guests are checking in.

And of course you can do something about it. You can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking.

Brad606
Level 1
Rock Island, TN

Just had this happen this past week, cabin was cleaned professionally on Tuesday and they checked in on Wednesday. I cant physically meet everyone at check in so I have a lockbox. They left yesterday morning and I always go down and remove  the trash from the can and check everything, we had a bifold door broke on the washer/ dryer closet, my wife started looking around and found cat/dog hair everywhere. Im new to airbnb and reading all these comments has me second guessing this whole STR deal if we have no one to back us up. Yes, agree on accepting service animals but in TN proper documentation is required for them, I have long term rentals and get the emotional support deal pulled on me constantly. After reading options yesterday,

I gave her a kind review while biting my tongue, but only give her one star on obeying house rules and cleanliness, also said I would not rent to her again. With that being said, when someone goes to book with me, I cant see that in the reviews, which makes no sense to me as a host. We as hosts should be able to see that imo. 

@Brad606  It makes no sense at all to leave a kind written review for guests who are disrespectful. This is how hosts just like you get stuck with guests who have behaved badly in other listings- because their past hosts left dishonest reviews.

Only hosts who use IB are privy to guest ratings. As a non-IB host (because I want to have the opportunity to communicate with guests before deciding to accept them) all I have access to are written reviews. So I would look at that "kind" review" for that guest and assume they were fine guests who I didn't have any cause to be concerned about.

If you aren't going to leave honest reviews to warn other hosts, please don't leave a review at all, it's just misleading. Hosts are always writing in here about having some nightmare guests and say they don't get it- the guest had good written reviews and 5*s. 

Many hosts will end their review by saying "Highly recommended" or "Unfortunately I cannot recommend these guests".

So all the tools are in place for you to know the experiences other hosts had with guests, but if hosts leave reviews which don't accurately reflect what they experienced, of course it doesn't work.

Heather1108
Level 2
Dallas, TX

We just had our first guests arrive, at 5 am. They were evacuating from Louisiana due to the hurricane. I was not informed of their middle-of-the-night check-in need until very late, but I wanted to be sensitive to the situation and didn't make a deal of it. They entered through the wrong gate which woke me up (our home is on site, but separate) and I watched them unload 2 dogs even though it is clearly stated that we do not allow pets (my dogs are not friendly with other dogs due to a trauma). After reading the experiences of so many others, I think we will stop hosting: one and done. So disappointing!

Question: since they are on site and we are on site, should I speak to them directly about the violation?

@Michele255

@Michelle509

Although I do accept pets, I require a pre-approval & a $20/night fee.  I was having guests bring pets & they neglected to tell me & did not pay. (we have self check-in)

I curtailed this by sending a thank you for booking and confirming the amount of guests & NO pets. It seems by directly asking, they are more truthful. If they don't want to pay the pet fee, I ask them to cancel their reservation. I am amazed that this has actually worked.  (I'm convinced most guests don't read the entire listing or rules.)

Airbnb needs to add a pet question too.  I also use VRBO & they have both a pet fee & tax line.  Seems like a simple programming upgrade that Airbnb could easily do.

Good luck.

Nina1213
Level 1
St. Louis, MO

I just started my Airbnb my first two guest was great I’m now hosting two one guests. They don’t tell me they were bringing pets in a no pets allow house. I think they damaged the cable to my door camera because after an hour in the house my camera stop working so I didn’t see them being dogs in. My neighbor said they been gone half the day so I don’t think it service animals. I’m just sad after reading that Airbnb don’t do anything about these situations. These guest will be my last. 

Elene640
Level 2
New York, NY

I had an incident recently, when I was away for New Years and the guests arrived with a pet, though I have a NO PET POLICY.

Their pet, peed and pooped on carpet, damaged pillow and woke up neighbors as it was howling all night. 

In addition to this, I had another airbnb guests staying in the house as well, who were woken up from pet owner guests at 2AM and 8AM knocking on the doors and windows and they slept on the coach in the living room area.

When I notified this to AIRBNB, even though I am a super host ( being years with the company, that apparently means nothing at all, comparing to this pet owner guests who have just opened their account) they seem NOT TO CARE MUCH !

I provided images, I provided another airbnb guests claims saying they didn't sleep and were bothered, I even had to reimburse one of the guest for the night she stayed. 

I tried to open a case, but the guest refused to pay for the damages. I have no one else to go now, as Airbnb doesn't care that the guests did not apply to host rules, nor that the guests actually ruined another airbnb guests night.

And after all this, I am getting an email that the pet owner gave me a low rating and that airbnb will close my listing for 5 days ....

This is most disrespectful act from the company. It shows how they don't care ! 

Call Airbnb customer service until you get a representative that can assist you.

Make an insurance claim through them.

I have successfully made a claim with Airbnb for damages.

Be persistent!!

Oh I did.

The only thing they want to cover is the damages that is a pee. The carpet is actual room size, and to take it somewhere will be a disaster, also I have another guests staying there. I purchased things from amazon and cleaned everything for $100 that they need receipt for.

But AIRBNB  is not doing anything at ALL to pay for bringing pets in the house or is even talking to the guest. I did request money for 2 nights for a dog policy, but the guest declined it.

AIRBNB IS NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They just need a receipt of the amazon to cover the pee. It is much more then that unfortunately. 

Maybe it’s a separate claim for disruptive behavior?

Nina1327
Level 2
Villas, NJ

I had enough , with guest bringing pets into my NO PET policy, so sick of cleaning dog **bleep**ing hair , all the extra work cleaning up after a dog . I remind guest 4x before check in , they lie right to your face , 

so I finally decided to get Google wireless door camera, I installed 4th July weekend.. I reminded my guest no pet policy.. she checked in on 1,st my bell camera app ready to go, when they checked in & I was live and hear dog barking so I hurry up over to house and ask for mom & dad told them I heard a dog bark on my rules I have the right to inspect the property if suspect a dog , well low and behold my neighbors were and in back yard they had a dog so I gave the guest break because I just got bell camera wasn’t sure , so I let go . Next day .. I hear dog bark I go back to history watch video I don’t see dog but hear him on my app .. so I text guest I’m coming over I hear dog bark I’m checking tje house , when I get there the mother gone only husband kids . So no dog no wife .. but video of a dog barking when they are entering the house , after they check out , dog hair in back bedroom all over ..I find out my camera can’t hear audio at my neighbors it’s to far away so the dog bark wad from the guest every time the open the dog barked , I called airbb and decided not to collect my 500$ for having a pet , I didn’t leave her a review, I just fouled out today she left me a bad review.. so I called airbb I want the bad review off.. the guest had a dog .. I’m so sick of this .. next summer I’m off airbb .. I had enough out of 25 guest 22 Brought dogs I’m over it now a bad review because she was wrong .. ugh 

Mairi37
Level 2
Pitlochry, United Kingdom

I’m a new host and one of my first bookings which was 20% off first five bookings was from a guest who is also an Airbnb host,. I have no pets as my apartment is on second floor and on Main Street so not suitable for pets. She has come with her dog and has not left apartment for 9hours and walked her dog. I’m so worried about my luxurious new carpets, furniture etc. 

I feel totally disrespected that she is also an Airbnb host!