Petition to exclude Russians from Airbnb

Wojciech34
Level 2
Warsaw, Poland

Petition to exclude Russians from Airbnb

When people are murdered by Russians in Ukraine, we should not agree to the presence of Russian citizens in the Airbnb community.

10 Replies 10

@Wojciech34  I'm as upset about the invasion as you are, but ostracizing an entire nationality over the actions of their government is not an acceptable response. Giving in to blind hatred can only deepen this crisis.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wojciech34  Ordinary citizens cannot and should not be held responsible nor penalized for the actions of their govts.  

It doesn't appear, from what I have been reading, that the invasion has broad support from the Russian people. Some Russian troops have even supposedly refused to cross the border in Ukraine.

A host on another forum had a booking recently made by a Russian guest that the host was concerned about because he figured  it will end up being cancelled due to flights from Russia being disallowed, and that the guest wouldn't even be able to get refunded due to the banking sanctions. 

So he has been dialoguing with the guest, who assured him that he will still be coming, one way or another, for his July booking.

Then the guest sent the host a photo- of himself with an anti-invasion, pro-Ukraine sign standing on the street corner in his town, which was a lone protest he felt compelled to make. (Quite brave of him considering what happens to anti-Putin Russian dissenters)

Many countries practice human rights abuses and discrimination in one form or another. The average citizen can't be assumed to support or be deemed guilty for this. 

Sarah977, ordinary people support Putin and his decisions. 

Putin does not act alone. 

@Wojciech34  I'm quite sure many do. But many don't. I don't support penalizing an entire population for the actions of their govt., because individual citizens may be just as horrified by their govts actions as the rest of the world. 

@Wojciech34 I have another great idea. Why we don’t ban all guests and hosts from Poland, Italy, Germany, etc cause they’ve supported Hitler during the Second World War. Do I got the trend right?

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Wojciech34,

I’m Emilie, a Community Manager here in the Community Center. As others have pointed out above, this post goes against our Nondiscrimination Policy. While I appreciate your feelings, our policy doesn’t allow for discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, gender or sex. Every person is unique, after all, so it’s important to keep an open mind. 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Wojciech34 Rest assured the sanctions in place on the key Russian decision makers will stop those Russians who have actually caused this conflict to be excluded from Airbnb. Many Russians do seem to be standing up against Putin which is incredibly brave of them as @Sarah977 says.

Wojciech34
Level 2
Warsaw, Poland

Airbnb suspended all operations in  Russia and Belarus:)

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Wojciech34 I hope there are Russians in this forum as it may help counter the state propaganda they are being fed regarding Ukraine.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

I know the main discussion was started a little while ago, however I cannot see a way for this conversation to continue constructively, nor digress further into personal remarks or comments that would go against our Nondiscrimination Policy. For this reason, and with the best interests of our global community here, I have closed this topic to new replies.

Thanks,

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines