Pets (dogs only)

Shannon818
Level 1
Palm Bay, FL

Pets (dogs only)

Hello - So I’d like to open my home to pets. But dogs only. Not cats. I’m allergic. How do I go about this!

thanks a lot,

shannon Gray

3 Replies 3
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Shannon818 In your listing and house rules say, “Well-behaved dogs are allowed. Sorry, no cats due to allergies.”

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

In addition to clearly state this in house rules, include the same statement in the check in instructions you send to guests. Usually I send one welcome message right after booking confirmed, and then another check in instructions the day before check in (other hosts might do 1-3 days before check in). Include this in the welcome message right after booking confirmed so guests have time to respond.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

Also, I would put in a clear statement that "no cat will be allowed due to allergy, this includes service cat and emotional support cat". While Airbnb does have nondiscrimination policy in place for service animals, your allergy definitely serves as an exception that gives you the right to refuse any service animal or emotional support animal if it is a cat. Some guests with service animal or emotional support animal might have the illusion that since they are protected by the nondiscriminatory policy and should be allowed to book and stay anywhere that is not true at all. You need to clearly state this.