Phone number accessible

Answered!
Lynette147
Level 2
Toowoomba, Australia

Phone number accessible

I have recently been getting contacted directly by guests via my mobile phone number stating they were able to access my number via the Air bnb app. Is there an issue this is a concern as I was of the understanding it was NOT disclosed as a privacy and security reason. Is there a problem with the App  

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lynette147  Sounds like these guests are scamming you- maybe they got your number from a past guest you had? In any case, I would contact Airbnb, indicate that it is a Trust and Safety  issue, so the front line rep passes it on, rather than giving you some lame response.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Lynette147 

Are these confirmed bookings, then yes, the guest has your phone # via the reservation confirmation.

No I have been hosting for 6 years and it is only recent that guests somehow see my number and then just message my phone with their enquiry.  Completly bypassing the Air bnb platform 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@M199 @Sarah977 @Lynette147 

I am under the impression that telephone numbers are exchanged after the booking is completed.

I just checked the information on my next two guests and I see telephone numbers just below the MESSAGE and CALL buttons.

I assume that they get my telephone number also.

Am I mistaken ?  Again?

That is my understanding as well @Brian2036. But she is the second one and the first one went ahead and created a booking via the app after I told him he should only contact via the app... im really annoyed by it. I have today's lady sending me a screen shot of where she got my number from. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lynette147  Sounds like these guests are scamming you- maybe they got your number from a past guest you had? In any case, I would contact Airbnb, indicate that it is a Trust and Safety  issue, so the front line rep passes it on, rather than giving you some lame response.

Lynette147
Level 2
Toowoomba, Australia

That is my understanding as well @Brian2036. But she is the second one and the first one went ahead and created a booking via the app after I told him he should only contact via the app... im really annoyed by it. I have today's lady sending me a screen shot of where she got my number from.

@Lynette147  Can you post the screenshot? This is concerning for sure.

I once had someone I don't know email me (to my personal email address) an invite to a local host meetup. I have no idea where they got my email, as it isn't posted anywhere. I contacted Airbnb to see if they shared email addresses for this purpose and the Trust and Safety rep assured me they didn't. It was a mystery.

@Lynette147  I checked your profile and your phone is not shown anywhere. Your guest or someone they know previously booked and canceled, or stayed with you.

Can you show us this screenshot?

Lynette147
Level 2
Toowoomba, Australia

Problem is when I asked them both where they got my number they say from the air bnb site 

@Lynette147  Either they are lying or they have booked your place in the past (maybe as a part of the group) and saved your number and the screenshot

You can switch to traveling, find your listing on ABB and look at yourself. What you will see is what everyone else can see. Except those who booked.