Photos not visible until after booking - What the ?

Giselle1
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Photos not visible until after booking - What the ?

There seems to be no logic  to this decision. I have my photo up as a host and I expect my guests to do so too. To me, that is part of the spirit of openness and trust that makes Airbnb work. Now, if someone books with a photo not of their face, it becomes my issue to resolve - I have to chase them or contact Airbnb. If guests are uncomfortable putting a photo up, they should only be allowed to book with hosts who don't require a photo. Problem solved. I have to wonder why anyone would be that concerned - it's not like you can scroll through Airbnb profiles and see who is travelling when, so there's not a security issue. There's more of a security issue for host now. I've already had a guest book without a photo of their face, which wastes my time and effort. Not a smart move Airbnb.

2 Replies 2
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

yup. Airbnb also has removed the potential guests last name too so you cannot do a quick search of them on social media. Most hosts feel the same way. It's airbnb's way of making sure they dont get sued by anyone who will claim racial discrimination because a host declined their booking POSSIBLY due to their photo. It really screws the hosts over big time. 

I've added this to my house rules and fully stand behind it... 

WHEN REQUESTING TO BOOK: Tell me a little more about you and your guests please. Why are you coming to this area? How'd you find us? Ages of all guests & are you bringing pets and anything else Y-O-U would want to know about complete strangers if they were about to come stay at Y-O-U-R home. Airbnb tells me your first name, the city you're from and how many guests you're bringing. That's it. No picture of you, no last name... nothing. From that little tiny bit of info I am supposed to make a decision that people I don't know are OK to come stay at our place and play in our arcade?! Imagine strangers are requesting to stay at your home. What would you want to know about them. Tell me that about you & your guests. THANKS!

Shameda0
Level 1
Toronto, CA

It is definitely not an equitable move. Guests see who hosts are but not vice versa. I agree that this places the host in a vulnerable situation and possibly subject to what may be the same issues that prompted airbnb to remove a guest's photo.