Pillow Replacement Schedule

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Pillow Replacement Schedule

One of the things I found so easy about being a host is that I'm aready a crazy nut when it comes to cleaning.  I manage everything at my house on a nine-day rotation.

Every nine days, I gut the stove and the fridge, the bathroom vents, the window screens, cabinets, you name it.

I have a vacuum cleaner, a mop and bucket, a cleaning tray on every floor of my house and plastic gloves are my aphrodisiac.

But I've now hit a snag.

Laundry!

I'm good with washing sheets and pillow cases after a guest leaves.

I also wash the comforter (which I think I should) and the duvet (which I think I should) between guests because it's gross to not do that.

How often should pillows be replaced?

As someone who values water, respects a septic system, and honors cleanliness, I'm at a crossroad.

Your comments are appreciated.

20 Replies 20

Oh, I should have said, @Wendy-and-Frank0. They are not down pillows. No idea how to deal with those. I have two kinds - polyester and bamboo. Both wash up well. I do have a rack for drying them. 

And, yes, in the washer. 

Bamboo pillows?  Really?  I'll have to look into that.

Mine are not feathers or down.  They're some weird squishy stuff, foam or cotton/polyester maybe.

Thanks, @Branka-and-Silvia0!

All these pillows are all gimicks, the tradional down & feather pillow has always been perfect. the only one alternative is maybe a recycled plastic blown polyester pillow.  as no ducks are hurt in the process. 

Lois10
Level 5
Rock Springs, WY

Thanks for the question I was wondering the same myself

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Wendy-and-Frank0 feather pillows can be washed from time to time too on low temperature with soft detergent .  dry on low temperature with tennis balls

The question is how long should I go until I have to replace the pillow. While a pillow protector is a sure solution to not only keeping the pillow clean,  but if you get a zippered pillow protectors you can keep out bed bugs and anything else that could make a home and plague your guests. But thats wasn't the real question the real question is how often I should change the pillow.  This depends on what kind of pillow you use. Phoenix Down Pillows are specifically designed for the hospitality industry. if cost and the enviroment are your biggest concerns they have there pleasant dreams and there travelers dream are perfect. Secondly, if you want a high fill power hotel pillow that can last upwards of 10 years you will want to go with a 100% Down! And if your looking for a all round good pillow for all sleep types that will also last many years it would be the Athens Pillow which is  a 25/75 down feather blend. you can find that link at.  
https://www.hotels4humanity.com/phoenix-down-pillows-athens-25-75-down-feather/

Good Luck,  I hope this helps.