Please Critique My Listing! Trying to get Bookings!

Julia456
Level 2
Denver, CO

Please Critique My Listing! Trying to get Bookings!

Hi,

I have been trying all of the online suggestions on how to get bookings (tweaking calendar, playing with price, responding immediately, etc) but wanted to get actual feedback on my listing.  

If you could please give me any feedback, I would very much appreciate it!  Are there certain things I should showcase in the photos?  Is the pricing right?  

I'd be happy to give you feedback on your listing as well!  Just add it to the posting.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18339484?s=51

Thanks,
Julia

14 Replies 14
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Julia456

My hunch is that there may be a limited demand for that kind of property.  I could be totally wrong of course as I do not know the market, so I just apply some common sense.  

Seasons play a role as well.  I suppose larger groups would want to gather family around big holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, others come for events.

For pricing you would need to look at your competition in the area.

What about location - could play a role.  Here you are the expert 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have a lovely home, @Julia456.  It appears that you previously listed it as a shared space and now you are listing it as an entire house.  Just a quick look at the Denver area, there is a great deal of competition and the nightly rate is much lower.  It might be helpful to lower your rate for a smaller number of guests and keep the extra person charge starting at over 6, rather than over 10.  With a smaller group, you lock off some bedrooms or at least do not make up the beds so your cost is a bit lower.  It might give you a wider appeal in the search.  Hope this helps.

Thank you both so much for looking at my listing!  I had a feeling that the house was too large for the demand so I am currently promoting the house without the basement on Homeaway, but still no bites!  I keep tweaking things every 3 - 4 days so maybe I am being too restless.  

I took the pictures myself.  Do you think I shoudl go the professional photo route?

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p4531156

Many thanks!

@Julia456 I am not in favour of heavily photoshopped images and when looking for a place/shopping I am deterred by such photos. Your photos are reliable in the way they show a real place. I would only make those photos of the park and the city view sharper, with better focus, though.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Julia456  You are welcome.  Your pictures are good, but professional photographs make your place look like a magazine spread.  Does Air BNB provide the photographer in your area?

Thanks!  Airbnb will charge $175 for a photoshoot so I thought about using a professional I found on my own.

A couple of years ago when I started, the photography was a free service, @Julia456.  The process included the Air BNB staff reviewing the pictures and selecting the best along with a recommendation for the home page photo.  If you look at my listing most of the pictures are professional and I think you can see the difference between mine and the professional.  I don't know how the process has changed, but the pictures taken by Air BNB photographer belong to Air BNB and you cannot use them elsewhere.  So getting your own photographer might be a better idea since you are listing on other sites.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Julia456 please make sure that you have insurance coverage. It is not uncommonn for an entire place that can accommodate a large # of people to be trashed/damage and the security deposit on Airbnb does not really protect host. If I were you, I would definitely build a list of house rules. Based on what I know, we cannot claim something unless it is in the house rules. Good luck!

It's a lovely place! One that I will book without hesitation if I was in the area. Maybe check your pricing and bring it down a bit if you see similar homes booked for less? If that's not the case, then blame it on seasonality. 

Lisa658
Level 10
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Julia456

We have found that roughly speaking 50% of our bookings are couples and 50% are families.  Can you create another listing with availability for just one bedroom with couples pricing?  This may help you augment bookings in the slow season.  You can block dates for peak periods where you prefer to book to groups only.  Be sure to lock off extra bedrooms or you could find this is more work than you bargained for.  If you have instant book on for groups be sure it is off for the single bedroom option.

Lisa 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Julia456

Looks great so no problem with photos or description. However the size of the property may be an issue. For 1 person taking the property you charge £327 per night. A good 5* hotel is less than that.

Would it work to have a lower entry point - eg: 2 guests £250, plus x per person afterr the first two. That would mean you open the property for smaller groups too. But all depends on the pricing in your area.

Many thanks to everyone who provided feedback!  I may try a posting with a smaller home size, if the house would otherwise be vacant, although I still need the higher rent to cover the fixed costs.  I do think that all of the extra views on the listing helped me secure an additional booking!  So thank you!

Tracy131
Level 6
Franklin, MA

Hi, 

I think your listing sounds great and your pictures are very good-no need for professional pics. I think demand for such a large house is low or maybe the price is a bit high but I'm nit familiar with your area. Good luck!

Tracy

I would love to see your place but can't seem to locate it...  Good luck