Please Verify Your Payment Method

Florence131
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Please Verify Your Payment Method

My friends have recently tried to pay for a room we needed for our holiday. It is the first time I've used my debit card to complete a booking. However, before Airbnb would accept the payment I was asked to submit a bank statement to verify my payment method. I am a new to using Airbnb and I have heard some horror stories and scams; I do not want to fall victim to one while I'm trying to travel to the other side of the world. I wanted to know if this is legit? I would rather not upload sensitive information from my bank statement, but I also don't want to miss out on booking this place. 

So in summation I would like to know:

1. If this is a real request from Airbnb?

2. What information are they looknig for in my bank statement?

3. What information do they not need to know and what information can I blur because of that? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

Florence 

1 Reply 1
Gustav3
Level 1
Emalahleni, South Africa

Hi Florence, 

this seems to be a ligitimate request from you and if "they" are going to attemp an answer at some stage I would like to be privy to that. I notice it's been 4 weeks so I guess not.

My issue is that the debit they are sopposed to take from my account is not done and nowhere is there an option to notify them about this, it simply says you have to upload the amounts OR submit (as you have stated) the copy of bank statement, which doesnt help much if the debit is not recorderd.

My problem is slightly more complex as I have various payment methods regsitered for business or private use and now all of these have seemingly been blocked because of the "failure" to authenticate.

Unfortunately Air BB is losing money as I cannot make bookings.... or maybe that is furtunate as surely that will compel them to take action or at least respond to this request. One would think that they would have the infrastructure to contact a customer personally once all payment options has been blocked.