Please criticize my listing- what am I doing wrong?

Helen262
Level 2
Garden Prairie, IL

Please criticize my listing- what am I doing wrong?

17 Replies 17
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Your location is beautiful! You seem fairly priced for a home that could accomodate a large group.

The things I noticed were decor-related and that gets tricky because it's such a subjective thing. A lot will depend on what type of guest you'd like to attract. The carpet in bedrooms looks tired and I noticed the lack of bedside tables and reading lights. Same with the wicker seating area - the sparse furnishings don't make it feel inviting. I'd suggest checking out the blog "One Chic Retreat" - I really enjoyed her perspective on what makes a rental property stand out. Specifically, her article on "Wildflower technique" helped me identify what wasn't working in my rental space. Also the one on good bed design. Some of her suggestions (and pictures) are very high-end, but I think you can translate the concepts to more affordable furnishings. Most of my place is done with IKEA and paint, but I think it turned out well.

http://1chicretreat.com/the-one-bizarrely-effective-color-secret-you-need-to-know-now-for-your-vacat...

http://1chicretreat.com/how-to-increase-your-vacation-rental-bookings-and-get-gushing-reviews-by-usi...

Thank you so much for your feedback! 🙂 I will follow through

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen262

Externally it looks beautful - but it is not welcoming or comfortable looking inside. It's is quite spartan and bare. That might put people off booking. Also, it is a larger property so the audience will be more limited and you have set the price for the maximum group size.

Would you consider renting the place at a lower rate for say a minimum of 6 people, then an additional $x per person per night for others up to a maximum of 10. 

That would open up your listing to a larger audience.

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

I would add pictures of the modern kitchen.  The living room and any other rooms in the house.  People don't know what to expect.  Is it only available on weekends?  You do list monthly and weekly disccounts but it is not clear that it can be rented that long?  I think most people that rent whole houses probably want it for a week at a time. 

If it is available for weekly or monthly rental; I would consider a much steeper monthly and weekly discount.  For example the weekly rental only saves the renter $15.00.  The monthly rate only saves you $30.00

Another thought, if you start lower and get some good reviews it will snowball and you can always raise your prices.

Thank you Susan, I will def look into it!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I have to say that your pictures simply don't give me a sense that the house can comfortably fit 10 people. There are only four spaces on the back porch. The covered area has no furniture at all! Where is the grill? The big picnic table? Why are there no pictures of the kitchen. Any group of 10 will use a kitchen. I don't have a true sense of what your bedrooms look like, but the ones that are pictured don't seem to have bedside tables or lamps so you can read in bed at night.

I have to agree with other posters. This is really spartan without the comforts that one might expect at $300 a night.

Thank You! I have added lamps and a few other touches as noted.. I will update pictures to include living room/kitchen and outdoor space!

@Helen262   Amazing place!   A few suggestions, although I think it looks fantastic.  I would suggest to put some of what you have under Guest Access and in the space in the description the guest sees first.   People want to know what is available to them right away.   In "the space"  I would suggest to  bullet point everything that they will find there, include the number of bedrooms  and type of beds and bathrooms, kitchen etc. I did not see any images of  living spaces, no kitchen table, no chairs nor the TV area.  Many people do not read so the clearer and more simply it is laid out the better to get their attention.  In the images either caption the rooms or add something to make them different - at first I thought I was looking at the same bedroom over and over again from different angles.  Add some props to socializing areas, flowers, magazines to make it look welcoming.  Add some images of people kayaking and tubing and local attractions. Hope that helps and again a fantastic place looks like a dream vacation spot to me.

Thank you! I will definately add updated pictures that reflect these additions!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Helen262

Charging top $$$$ for 10, you need a dining table for 10 in and out, comfortable seating for 10 etc.  

Judging from your photos there are only those wicker chairs seating max 4.  

Some colour injection looks good on photos - your place is screaming for some patchwork quilts 🙂

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

I absolutely love your cover picture! I agree that you shlould lower your base rate and charge for extra people. Beautiful location!

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

As a renter I'd want to see pics of where we'd be hanging out, where we'd be preparing meals, etc. The bedrooms look very spartan, where will I put my book or charge my phone? I agree, check out 1chicretreat for inspiration. Also check out Pinterest, do a search for cabin decor or knotty pine walls to see how people decorate within this look. The location is fabulous and the views are stunning. 

Amir24
Level 2
Sarajevo, BA

Dear @Helen262

You have a beautiful home, which has a lot of potential. 

But I do see some problems with the listing.

First of all it looks a bit empty. Now, I am all about the minimalism, but it just does not work for your space. Wood paneling and rustic furniture just call for a bit warmer decor. You could ad a few simple paintings (along the line of imresionism),few lamps,maybe a simple but cute rug,few large beewax candels,copper pots...  And those carpets have a cold grey undertone, which makes them look dusty even if they are not.

Then there is your profile, you do not have a face photo, and you have not writen anything about yourself. People want to feel comfortable, and getting a sense of you as a person could really help.

And finally, your price is quite resonable if you are having 10 people over. However, families are usualy not that large. So you should consider renting individual rooms as well. 

Hope this helps,and good luck.
Amir

P.S.
if anyone want's to give me some feedback, go ahead.

Would be much apreciated 🙂
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17434363

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Great advice @Amir24

If you want feedback on your listing, why not start your own thread, or it could get confusing as people try and reply to two hosts on the same subject 🙂