Please help! No-show guest followed by suspicious mail

Emily1228
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

Please help! No-show guest followed by suspicious mail

A couple of weeks ago we got a booking from a guest in Tampa, Florida. She sent a message right away when she booked the saying she was looking forward to her stay. We got the house ready for her. We sent her messages prior to her stay and never heard back. Some guests are not very communicative, so we were not very worried. It was a two night stay and we never heard back from her when we checked in to see that she got in OK. When we return to clean, it appeared as if no one had ever been there and the payout was sent. We did try to call her to make sure everything was OK and the woman that answered the phone said it was the wrong number.

since then, we have received several unemployment claims mail to our house. They are for women with different names and when we Google the names they are all in Tampa Florida as well. We cannot be 100% sure that these two issues are connected, but it is highly suspicious. Has anyone had a similar situation? We reached out to Airbnb fraud and have not heard back. Thank you!

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emily1228  Yes, quite odd.  Does sound a bit like she booked simply to show the unemployment office her booking to use as proof of address. I would mark the letters as "No such person at this address" and send them back. I might even call the unemployment office and report this as possible fraud, giving them the names on the letters.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emily1228 

Yes, this sounds very weird and I would be suspicious if I had not received those kinds of letters before. I wouldn't think an unemployment office would take a two night Airbnb booking as proof of address, but I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Glen-and-Yvonne0
Level 1
Belleville, PA

We had a w might booking...I ask guest a couple of questions...no reply. Messaged him 3 times...called him once...he idenrified himself but had to leave a message that was promised to return call asap. No answer...day of arrival...texted him..nothing...All was ready! No show! Day 2...nothing! Incredulous!