Please help a newbie host! How to be sure about a guest without reviews

Sally187
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Please help a newbie host! How to be sure about a guest without reviews

I'm a new host - my first booking is a guy from Mexico who did indeed verify with government ID on request. He has booked my house - big enough for 7 people for just 2, it maybe seems to good to be true? Can anyone advise if the govt ID is watertight? He has no previous validatons as a guest. I feel a bit wary...

Any advice from you experienced folk out there?

1 Reply 1
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Sally187 is he a new member with no review, or he has been a member for a while with no review?

I do not exactly know the answer whether the verified ID can be 100% reliable or not. There are hosts who check ID upon check-in.

When I receive a request from someone with no reviews, the first thing I check is when is this person become a member. If the person has been a member since last year or even longer and does not have review, I always ask "Hi X, I see that you have been an airbnb member since 2016, but you do not have a review yet?" then depending on the answer I receive whether I will proceed with my standard process before approving the request or not. Based on my experience, some people answered the question nicely and there were some who got defensive and this is definitely a sign for me to decline their review.

For people who have been a member for a while and have no reviews, these are some of the common reasons (but not limited to): they created an account, but never use it yet. They created an account, then their partner/friend was the one who made the reservation for their trip instead of this particular person. They have used airbnb, the host did not leave a review > this can be because the host forgot/lazy/busy, or there is also a possibility that the host chose not to leave a review instead of giving them a bad review.