Please help host double book room leaving me stranded who is held accountable

Kwame22
Level 1
Whitehall, PA

Please help host double book room leaving me stranded who is held accountable

My bday week was on June 28,2020 I reserved a house 2 months prior to my date and was paid in full, I message the host two days prior to get house address and they responded confirming my rental date, as I flew from Pennsylvania to Florida with 17 guest we get to the house and a nba player and security team said there not leaving the host was paid extra so he can stay there, Airbnb did nothing to help but offer a 200 coupon and full refund, I’m beyond livid my bday weekend was cancelled and we had to stay at a hotel when I booked a 10 bedroom mansion paying over 8k dollars, what procedure or process can I do to hold them accountable the host won’t give me his info and he blamed air b n b for mess up 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kwame22 As a minimum please leave the host a 1 star review calmly explaining what happened so that the review doesn't break any of the rules.

I don't know what other recourse you might have perhaps @Anonymous could advise?

Sorry

@Kwame22   Airbnb followed its standard procedure for guests whose bookings were cancelled by the hosts:  full refund plus a voucher to apply toward booking another listing on the platform. Usually in a case like this, the host also receives penalties - one of them is an automated message on the listing warning that the host cancelled a booking 0 days before arrival. However, the guest does not get to submit a review when Airbnb treats the circumstances as a host cancellation.

If you had travel insurance to cover your trip, you can check the policy to see if it has a benefit to reimburse you for the extra costs incurred due to being forced to relocate at the last minute.  Admittedly, this is pretty rare and not part of a standard policy. 

Beyond that, you've probably hit a dead end. Airbnb was obliged to fully refund your stay, but the extra cost of choosing a last-minute hotel and other inconveniences is not guaranteed in the terms of service. The anger and disappointment you feel about having your birthday plans spoiled is certainly justified, but these emotions don't add any enough gravity to your case to be worth any effort to pursue additional compensation. I hope your group still had a good time together despite the crappy Airbnb experience.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kwame22   I certainly feel bad about your experience, but one thing you posted was that you had to contact the host for the house address.  This is usually provided automatically by Air BNB upon booking confirmation. I wonder what happened here.