Plumbing

99-Steps0
Level 2
California, United States

Plumbing

Any assistance/insight/recommendations would be helpful.  We're in a beach area and our Welcome Letter asks guests to please shower outside before coming in so that excess sand does not get into our drains (it turns into concrete).

Housekeepers cleaned apartment on 4/1, afternoon.  Guests checked in 4/1 evening and mentioned they would be taking a shower (it was a warm night).  On 4/4, guests complained shower is draining very slowly.  I called a plumber.  Today is 4/5 and while plumber has not arrived yet, this issue is (a) new and (b) localized.  Guests now complain they want a shower that drains. I live directly below guest apartment and have no problems with slow drains.  I believe that these guests may have dropped something down the drain, or caused an excessive amount of sand to enter the drain, causing the problem.

I will of course get the plumber's professional opinion, but I've never had to confront a guest on an issue before.  Any suggestions??

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@99-Steps0

First you need proof that the guests have dropped something down the drain - you can't accuse them of that unless your plumber shows you what is wrong, and you are 100% certain that they are the only people who could possibly have done this. 

If you have that proof then you have two things to consider: asking the guests to take greater care and you should do this face to face as it will have more impact. The second thing is whether or not you are going to try claim money from your guests for unblocking the drain. Remember that if they disagree with you then you will need to raise a case with AirBnB, and you will need to provide proof and that is not always easy!

Good luck

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@99-Steps0

Gary and Rashid said it all ... but maybe you can do something to prevent this happend again. For example we have nets in our bath tubs like this one, originally it is for kitchen sink:

mrezica.jpg

It will prevent hair , shampoo caps or other small things to fall in and clog the drain. But of course it will not prevent sand 😞