Poor standards (as always)

Answered!
Cassie118
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Poor standards (as always)

Stayed in an apartment recently that the host had signed up for an “enhanced clean” policy as advertised by the site across various properties in light of the pandemic. The apartment was filthy (I mean piss on the toilet seat kind of filthy). We had to spend the first day of the trip cleaning the apartment ourselves AFTER the host brought us cleaning products (there was not a single product in the apartment) . This became our only option as Airbnb didn’t call us back to help rearrange somewhere alternative to stay. I

3CA0ACC4-7BC9-4643-B90D-622088992A49.jpeg

have all photographic and video evidence.  Airbnb shouldn’t advertise this cleaning option if hosts can only pretend to subscribe to it. The host returned a small refund in cleaning fees and reluctantly at that. The listing certainly wasn’t cheap. I don’t believe the host is fully responsible. I believe air Bnb is. No one has called us after saying they will for weeks. I am going to report Airbnb to trades descriptions - false advertising cleaning standards that a guest can book with peace of mind during a pandemic - is a crime. I will of course back this up on social media platforms. Airbnb should not operate if they can’t staff their help centre as well as protect guests and the hosts equally. I am sick of waiting nearly 2 weeks for their “call” back. 

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cassie118 

It is the host who participates knowingly to the enhanced cleaning protocol, as explained here:

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/answering-top-questions-about-the-new-cleaning-prot...

It also mentions how it will measured and what will happen if the host fails

You can report the listing to Airbnb by using the report-link.

Best regards,

Emiel

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cassie118 

It is the host who participates knowingly to the enhanced cleaning protocol, as explained here:

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/answering-top-questions-about-the-new-cleaning-prot...

It also mentions how it will measured and what will happen if the host fails

You can report the listing to Airbnb by using the report-link.

Best regards,

Emiel

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Cassie118  That's just horrible.  Your experience confirms what many of us believe - that hosts are just cynically and cavalierly saying they're doing the enhanced clean to get a boost in the rankings and search results.  Disgusting on so many levels.  Please do report this host. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cassie118 whilst yours is an extreme example I am sure 90% of people who have signed up to the protocol are not following it 100%. We looked at it and decided it was a) impossible and b) way over the top. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cassie118  Sorry you found yourself in a filthy place.

As Emiel said, it is the host who is responsible for saying they are doing this- hosts didn't have to sign up for it. And to tell you the truth, the majority of hosts who frequent this forum, who I know are all responsible hosts, decided not to sign up for that badge, because some of the requirements were ludicrous- like washing all the walls and the porch ceiling.

Now that doesn't mean those hosts who decided not to sign up aren't doing proper COVID cleaning- they are- they are doing the common sense things like leaving at least 24 hours between bookings, airing the place out, sterilizing all surfaces which get touched, removing extraneous items like a lot of throw pillows, etc. 

I wouldn't look for that badge if I were a guest- most hosts who are taking this seriously have not necessarily signed up for that badge, but have added wording to their listing info as to what exactly they are doing COVID cleaning-wise. That's what I'd be looking for.

@Cassie118   Apparently the cleaning was "enhanced" by the addition of urine. 

Seriously, though, it is a real problem that guests can't follow the procedure required under the Guest Refund Policy because they can't reach customer service for assistance. If you can't get a representative on the phone and have your Travel Issue resolved on your arrival date, Airbnb has reneged on their obligations under their own Terms of Service. 

What's more disturbing is the "as always" in the title of your posting. You seem to have had positive experiences as a guest, and were once a prolific host yourself (although wow, you sure did cancel an enormous number of your bookings). Whose standards do you believe are always poor?