Portland, OR licenses

Nikki405
Level 2
Portland, OR

Portland, OR licenses

Hello! I have an Airbnb in Portland Oregon and I am unable to find any information on how to go through Airbnb to get my licensing. When I set it up I was not prompted to do so and it’s been like pulling teeth out to get a license through the city so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or solutions to this problem (ASTR permit)

8 Replies 8
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Nikki405   AirBnB does not provide licensing, nor do they have the ability to tell you about licensing in your location.  You have to find out from your local government resources.  Sometimes a local realtor or the library may have helpful information.  Good luck to you!

@Lorna170 

I’m just confused because this is what I found on the website. The city of Portland’s ASTR permit “website” is a joke. 

390D0AE7-601A-4C41-9EB2-11192CEC43E8.jpeg

Hi - I would love help on this too. I am hoping to buy my first Airbnb property which would be a whole house in Portland. I would not be living on the property, but I would stay there probably a total of 30-60 days (not consecutively) throughout the year.

I've read through the city's websites and just talked to someone on the phone in the property compliance department. That was helpful but still confusing.

Clearly, there are plenty of whole houses being rented out as short term rentals year round, as shown on a quick search of the Airbnb platform. This city person told me short term rentals flat out are not allowed, and if anyone who is doing that is found out, there are pretty big fines per person per day based on the number of people renting. That doesn't make sense either as it would only take them 2 seconds to see the many STR houses available.

They do allow "mid term rentals" - he called it long term - of someone staying at least 30 days. I asked if that meant consecutively or just throughout the year, and he didn't know. And for that you don't need a permit, but your rental would fall under regular landlord tenant laws.

So... I'm still quite confused. Can anyone help me understand this? I certainly don't want to do anything wrong, but there's got to be a way that hundreds of hosts are doing this.

Thanks!

Hi Susan,

As you may have noticed, there are numerous hosts who are not adhering to the Accessory Short Term Rental (ASTR) law in Portland. Many people are renting out entire houses that remain unoccupied, in clear violation of the law's requirement that a resident must occupy the dwelling unit for at least 270 days during each calendar year. It's important to note that these days need NOT be consecutive.

This situation has led to increased competition in the short-term rental market, making it challenging for licensed hosts to maintain high occupancy rates and ensure the viability of their businesses.

Unfortunately, the housing crisis in the city continues to persist.

It's perplexing why the city appears to be lacking in enforcement of these regulations. Do you have any insights or ideas on why this might be the case?

Scott57
Level 5
Portland, OR

Portland does have detailed information on the process for getting your Airbnb approved and  being assigned a number. However, they are VERY backed up. I submitted my renewal on 6/12/21 and I just called today and they indicated that they have not gotten to it yet. 

I had a feeling this was the issue, I am just trying to avoid doing things wrong. Did you get a business license through the city also? 
Thanks for the information!

Sorry - I did not see this until today. Yes, I did get a business license. It was a pain to do and I am not even sure that I am doing everything I should be doing as a business. It seemed like it was required, but I know other Airbnb hosts who have not obtained a business license. Maybe they enforce it during renewal time. 

John6688
Level 1
Portland, OR

Could you find  where on Air B and B you can do this? I can't find it anywhere!