Possible inappropriate behavior by host

Anita-And-Glenn0
Level 1
Nashville, TN

Possible inappropriate behavior by host

We just stayed in New Orleans at a home that is supervised by a company out of San Francisco. We were promised tv, but we discovered later that we would have to purchase subscriptions to watch it. We were also promised coffee, and I assumed with that we would also get powdered creamer and sugar. With this reservation, there were pages of rules which didn't show up until after we were there. One rule was to report any leaks. While there, we experienced a leak over our toilet which dripped on us when using the restroom. Looking up,  we noted that there were old cracks in the area. We immediately notified her. In addition, the beds were awful with sink holes on one and springs you could feel on the other. How could we move in the middle of the reservation? It was Mardi Gras. Super busy. We stayed and complained after the fact asking for the amount which Airbnb allowed in the report that we initiated through them.

The host called us scam artist and threatened to charge $100 more for bringing out contractors for  something we "made up". She found one other host we had from whom we asked a refund and said she was contacting him and together they would have me thrown off of airbnb.

I'm wondering why we have stayed in two places that were the only "super hosts" we have used and both were awful,  but both had raving reviews. Am I the only person who is running into horrible stays where reviews were great? This lady was vicious and if you ever stay in New Orleans, please beware of staying in any home with a host named [name removed]. They lie about things that are in the home and if you complain they will call you a con artist and lie again about the messages between you and them.

I wasn't asking for a full refund, but when you are charged $269 per night for a place that leaks, has no coffee except little instant packets that you pour in the water without cream and sugar and horrbile springy beds, it is unacceptable in my opinion. I ran an airbnb for awhile. We will have it up again, and all my reviews were awesome, but we were so careful to have everything we promised, and when we didn't, we made up for it or gave them money back. I'm just a perfectionist about giving people what I promise, so I am shocked that reviews are often so different.

Do you think the way reviews are handled creates an atmosphere where both parties realize that giving the best review is the easiest way to make yourself look better? If you are reviewed well as a guest and leave a bad review for the host, it just makes you look bad and vice versa, so it skews this format for false good reviews in my opinion. I wish there was a way to fix this. Also, I didn't know, one host that enlist another host to help them in kicking you off airbnb. thanks for any input anyone has.

5 Replies 5
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

I would advise you to always contact the host as many times as you want and ask them what they will offer you, what are the free services etc. If they confirm you that everything is as seen on their pages only then you do the booking. Also choose the host that will reply fast which means within a few hours. Good luck in the future.

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Your the perfect host, but can be the guest from hell, bit if a jekle and hyde 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Anita-And-Glenn0

I do not know the price level during Mardi Gras, but I would expect it to be on the high side, even for very modest accomodation options.

Reviews would in most cases reflect that guests are happy with what they got for their money.  You cannot expect a mansion at motel prices.  When the offer says coffee, then you can expect coffee, period.  If it says coffee and creamer, then you can expect coffee and creamer.  

If the reviews rave about the host and say very little about the actual accomodation, "jingle bells" !

I don't believe in asking for discounts after a stay. Dissatisfaction should be expressed in the review, not in $$$$ received back from the host. If a guest finds that it is impossible to stay then Airbnb should have been contacted immediately to help find alternate accommodation. If It is possible for the guest to stay, then an honest review of the host and and the listing is the right thing to do.

Shelia0
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I have a rental in New Orleans French Quarter.   For Mardi Gras my rate is $475 and my standard rate is $250.  What you paid for Mardi Gras was greatly on the low scale.  You get for what you pay for.   I offer coffee with an assortment of sweaters, but I don't provide creamer. unless it is requested. I suggest you do a little more homework prior to booking.  Also, if you weren't satisfied you could have called AIRBNB and had your money refunded.