Possible scam! Any help? How to report to Air BnB?

Possible scam! Any help? How to report to Air BnB?

Hi All,

I was looking to book an accomodation in Amsterdam and came across a listing that seemed to fit in my budget. However, the host had posted some pictures with an overlay stating that the host needed to be contacted on a certain email ID before sending a booking request on AirBnB. This raised an alarm but I followed through to see how far this goes.

I received a response from the host stating that 'she' was out of town and that she was happy to let me book the apartment, but will initiate the booking herself on my behalf! - Second flag

The pictures she shared of the apartment were really nice, to an extent that it seemed too good to be true - Third flag

Now, next morning I received 3 emails - all that 'looked' like the ones AirBnB usually sends but only this time asking for a wire transfer to an 'AirBnB broker agent' account in Italy - with no service charges. The email was sent from an email ID that definitely was an external mail ID created for such dealings. One of the emails even said 'reservation confirmed' - Fourth flag

Last but not the least, I asked the host why am I being asked to wire the money outside of the AirBnB website and if my reservation is really confirmed, why doesn't it show on my upcoming travel list on the website. This is where the host started giving out about past experiences with card payment via Airbnb and how it was safe for me since the recipient was an AirBnB agent! I asked for my reservation to be cancelled and haven't heard from the host since.

Since then the listing has been deleted from AirBnB and none of the links, on the email I received earlier today, work now. They all worked in the morning and redirected me to the page of the listing on the site.

Adding details to this thread just incase the same details are used on some other listing on AirBnB...

[personal information removed] 

34 Replies 34
Andre87
Level 2
Hatfield, United Kingdom

Don't deal with anyone outside the system. It's a scam.

you can find AirBnB's direct contact details on Google.

There is a way to email them directly but it's not easy to find.

obviously that is intentional

best of luck

Andre

Claire328
Level 1
Oviedo, Spain

I almost got caught with a fake link scam. I have tried to contact airbnb directly to inform them of these fake links and cant find a way. Does anyone know how?

I am currently looking for a new flat to live in and through another website I found the perfect flat almost to good to me true. The guy told me had recently had togo back to america for health issues and needed to rent his flat and to do so I had to reserve it in Airbnb. I tried to call him and there was no answer but he was always online on whatsapp so thought I would try there. Our conversation started in Spanish as I am living in Spain. After a few messages I told him we could speak English if it would be easier as I had already told him I am from Northern Ireland although had ignored that part until I suggested English messages. Whne he messaged in the English the payment procedure explaination was perfect English but any other messages where iffy for someone who is apparently native.

He told me the procedure was to 1500 euro total for deposit and 2 months rent. I would have to pay this to airbnb and an agent would meet me to show me the flat and sign the contract and then forward the money to him. I thought this was very strange. I had also noticed that the name on the original advert was different to the name he was using for emails and whatsapp. I thought it might be his wifes name but then with the iffy English and the payment process I had more doubts. I decided to search the flat on airbnb and I couldnt find it using the exact filters shown on the link he sent me to make the reservation. I t was nowhere to be found. I decided to go to the address on the add as I live in the same city and there was no number that matched the address and also nothing that looked anything like it. When I contacted him via whatsapp as again he wouldnt answer any calls he said he didnt understand what I meant.

My mum found this community which made stop and think why none of this added up and I think it is a fake link using Airbnbs name. 

Wendy230
Level 1
Frampton Cotterell, United Kingdom

Please share on my Facebook group page. 

Airbnb scam

This must be the same host that is advertising this spectaular deal i Barcelona- her name is Matilda- be aware- her email  barcelona@bnb24.holiday

this is an email i received from her- scarry- dont fall and the email came from airbnb- invoice email

3 berooms in the heart of Barcelona - 6 Guests

Confirmation code:[Hidden]

Guest details

3 berooms in the heart of Barcelona - 6 Guests

Apartment - Entire home/apt (will be confirmed once the payment is completed)

Check-in

Sat, Sep 23, 2017

Check-out

Sat, Oct 21, 2017

Requested reservation

Cancellation: Flexible

€150 x 28 nights: €4,200
Airbnb service fee: €140
Subtotal: €4,340
30% Discount: €1302

Total amount: €3,038 Eur

Payment

How does the payment system work?
For your booking the payment method is Bank-to-Bank Wire Transfer, also known as bank transfer.

The payment is held by Airbnb and will be released to the host 24 hours after the guest checks in.

Using Airbnb's payment system is required to make a reservation and it helps ensure that both parties are protected under our Terms of Service, Cancellation Policies, Guest Refund Policy, and other safeguards.

Airbnb Bank Details (Europe Branch)

The account below belongs to Airbnb and would be used only for this transaction. Please don't share it and don't use it for another booking!

Account names are generated to be unique for each transaction so we can identify your payments faster.

Account Name: [Hidden]

IBAN:[Hidden]
BIC/Swift:
[Hidden]
Bank: HSBC Bank
Branch: 1 Great Cornbow, Halesowen B63 3 AD, United Kingdom

Payment reference: [Hidden]
Total amount to be sent in the local currency: £2,760 GBP

Important:

* For booking to be completed, after the transfer is done, you must to email to your Host attaching the bank receipt.

* The payment must be completed in 24 working hours otherwise your booking request will expire!

Thanks
The Airbnb Team,

Sent with from Airbnb
Email preferences

Ya, there are not too many ways to contact and take help but then also there are few ways you can check out this link which has a handy way to contact when you are in trouble. In this post, I had reviewed and exposed all the possibilities which are outcome of known facts please check it out-https://www.blogivy.com/business-and-finance/phone-number-for-airbnb/  and if you find the post helpful please praise in comment which  will give a kick start for me to write the similar post