Possible scam! Any help? How to report to Air BnB?

Possible scam! Any help? How to report to Air BnB?

Hi All,

I was looking to book an accomodation in Amsterdam and came across a listing that seemed to fit in my budget. However, the host had posted some pictures with an overlay stating that the host needed to be contacted on a certain email ID before sending a booking request on AirBnB. This raised an alarm but I followed through to see how far this goes.

I received a response from the host stating that 'she' was out of town and that she was happy to let me book the apartment, but will initiate the booking herself on my behalf! - Second flag

The pictures she shared of the apartment were really nice, to an extent that it seemed too good to be true - Third flag

Now, next morning I received 3 emails - all that 'looked' like the ones AirBnB usually sends but only this time asking for a wire transfer to an 'AirBnB broker agent' account in Italy - with no service charges. The email was sent from an email ID that definitely was an external mail ID created for such dealings. One of the emails even said 'reservation confirmed' - Fourth flag

Last but not the least, I asked the host why am I being asked to wire the money outside of the AirBnB website and if my reservation is really confirmed, why doesn't it show on my upcoming travel list on the website. This is where the host started giving out about past experiences with card payment via Airbnb and how it was safe for me since the recipient was an AirBnB agent! I asked for my reservation to be cancelled and haven't heard from the host since.

Since then the listing has been deleted from AirBnB and none of the links, on the email I received earlier today, work now. They all worked in the morning and redirected me to the page of the listing on the site.

Adding details to this thread just incase the same details are used on some other listing on AirBnB...

[personal information removed] 

34 Replies 34
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Animesh0

It's hosts like this that should not be on the site. They use the system to get bookings but by circumventing the Airbnb host/guest security and protection.

Do Not Book.

Often there are dream-like and too good to be trueaccommodations offered, and the guest who falls for it might be out of thieir money after payment. And without Airbnb backing.

Also, may I ask you to either report this listing  (there's a little gray flag) and also his profile.

Or send me the URL of the listing and I will do it.

It is people like this who help sully the Airbnb host reputation.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I didn't read the last part of your text that the listing is deleted. That's probably because somebody reported them to Airbnb.

Good you didn't fall for it!

In all probability the 'host' deleted the listing and his/ her profile itself after our correspondences earlier today. Or someone may have reported that listing as you state. Either ways I'm glad I didn't fall prey to this.

http://airbnb.com.reservations-online.site/1/listing/9/view-nszts1ff/7121

I wish there was an added security on AirBnB to screen every listing for such fraudulent activities. Or maybe track the source of this listing using the host IP.

Will have to look for some 'real' listings now 🙂

Hello,

I was doing some research on airbnb long term reservations because I'm found very strange the contact that I receive. The story is pretty much similar as yours. She said that she doen't live in my country as therefore is renting this place throught airbnb. She gave this link:

http://airbnb.com.reservation-online.space/1/listing/81/view-npw2k0o1/JlNP3pCGEw

It is a strange link... Specially because I cannot find the apartment in the "normal" airbnb site. 

Was this type of link that you received? Is it a fraude?

Thank you for you feedback

@Rita477

It's a fraud - so don't go any further

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

You can read about further examples of what you are dealing with on the thread above.

The link you provide will be a page that looks like an authentic airbnb page to give credibility but it's just a made up fake.

At the end of the day, they will ask you to send them money on the base of a promise that doesn't exist.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rita477,

Welcome to the Community Center. 

I was wondering if you've seen Elena's reply to your question?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Animesh0, anything that asks you to pay outside of the Airbnb system is a scam.

Andreas56
Level 1
Rostock, Germany

I Fall for it and pay 800€... Crying!!!

they are using another apartment right now. They tell me to transfer 800 euros. This is the link

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/13273836?checkin=30-12-2016&checkout=01-01-2017&guests=5&s=XY0SAGGe

Wendy230
Level 1
Frampton Cotterell, United Kingdom

Please share on my Facebook group page. 

Airbnb scam

Leon19
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

And I just found out that we were taken for EU1250 in the same way.  Surely AirBnB should warn one about scams like this?  I am not sure that I want to use them anymore.  We actually paid EU1400 into the "legit" AirBnB account, and they came back, returning our funds telling us that there had been a mistake and that we had to pay a reduced amount of EU1250, as they were giving us a discount.  We did that, and since then no "Cynthia Bolton".   😞

There is a flaw in the system - I tried in every way I would to get hold of AirBnB in order to query this, and there just does not seem to be anybody that I can contact.  So frustrating!

These are the email addresses that they used:

info@bookings-online.site

booking@payouts-airbnb.net

airbnbhost2008@gmail.com

Claus2
Level 1
Vestbjerg, Denmark

And an additional bad experience. Totally the same. Contacted Cynthia Bolton on airbnbhost2008@gmail.com, got wonderfull pictures - AND TRANFERRED A LOT OF MONEY. So frustrating.

I guees contacting the police or the bank is without effect, but anyhow. This should be followed.

Please all be aware.

Leslie94
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I had the same experience, but I was not so lucky.  I thought because I ad communicated with host

and she had explained that the wire was the only was she would accept the reservation I sent the wire

for $1400. When I was close to my arrival time I tried to conctact host but to no avail.  When I threaten with

police, they replied that host had a car accident and could not host us but that my money would be refunded in 48 

hours.  Obviously never happened.  I have reported it to FBI, police and my bank so others dont fall for this

scammers again.

I had the oppportunity to book with another host that was legit and had a great time. 

Thank you so much for this post....I was literally just about to wire €1000, which I was slightly uncomfortable with, when I read this post. Many thanks