Possible scam guests

Answered!
Denise120
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Possible scam guests

I sometimes get requests from people that I believe are somewhere in a 3rd world country trying to figure out how to get something out of me.  The language is strange, the requests vague and seem not to observe the Airbnb process; they usually don't have enough verification to suit me.  Then I get the messages from Airbnb about how I should pre-approve or invite this guest.  How do I let airbnb know that these guests look suspicious and I really need more information before inviting them into my home--to stop telling me to invite them.

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You can flag the guest maybe? Click on the little flag icon and it will offer you to put down a reason. Not sure what happens after that. I flagged a listing a long time ago and it is still there (fake listing).

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
NiChloe0
Level 1
Orlando, FL

I have a gentleman requesting my room for 29 days for him and his wife. I'm only concern because they are from Nigeria ( where big scans are originated) and is requesting for 20 days. I've tried to contact ABB to better verify the authenticity of the guests identification but I received nothing. Also because his profile is new. Any suggestions???

Unfortunately AirBnB has ZERO customer service, it's awful.  When they first started you could call them, and they'd call you just to check in, now nothing, and they're making so much more money now.  

Did you contact the guest and ask them any questions?  Ask them what they're coming to town for?  Ask if they've used AirBnB before?  Etc.  Asking probing questions, you'll quickly now if it's BS.  And of course, you shouldn't have any money exchange with them, except for them paying AirBnB and AirBnB paying you.  
Kevin940
Level 10
Quinns Rocks, Australia

I recently had ,an enquiry from someone in Taiwan with a profile name Wan-Ting, no other information or photo!. The first message was saying the booking would be for two girls from Taiwan who will be backpacking for a year and want to book a room for a whole year and what would the weekly rate be!  The message came from 'Lucy', I didn't feel that reassured by this request so asked a few questions and was told, in excellent English with grammar much better than mine and that they would be working in Australia.  I heard nothing back for days, then got a message saying they do not speak English??  and would be on a working visa for maybe two years.  

I declined the potential booking in the end because noting abut their request felt right.  No profile, no photo

I am very new to hosting on Air BnB, has anyone else had spurious requests for accommodation like this?  and was I wrong to sense red flags? 

John2178
Level 2
Randwick, Australia

I've had quite a few.

they lie about where they currently are etc etc etc.Not sure AS TO THEIR MOTIVATION UT REST ASSURED THAT IT'S NOT GOOD INTENTIONED.

cHEERS,

jd

John2178
Level 2
Randwick, Australia

And somewhere along the line, I must have hit the CAPS key. LOL

Christopher-Paul0
Level 1
Arusha, Tanzania

We also revived this from a newly made profile without any information.

"Actually I wanted to ask one more thing.
All expenses for accommodation are paid by my organization, and actually I already have a place to stay. So I’d like to return a part of the money for accommodation to myself.
Here’s what I’d like to offer.
I can book your accommodation at a high price, you will take 20% of the money you receive from Airbnb and return 80% to me. No guests will actually come.
The reservation will be for €1000-3000, you will receive €200-600.
Can we do it?"

Thanks to the similar stories shared in this forum I quickly turned down the offer. 

Faith125
Level 1
Chattanooga, TN

I got a request at 7:40pm last night from "Laurie" asking if I would let her come last night.  She said she had plumbing problems would need a place for at least one night and maybe two.  

I rushed to finish flipping my small spot and approved her request.  The reservation read "awaiting confirmation".

At 9:30 she said she was having credit card problems and would I accept cash.  I got nervous and  declined.

Her profile provided no information. She had joined in May of this year.

It felt creepy and I wonder what it was all about.  

Could anyone shed light on this?

@Faith125 It may well have been legitimate but you would have likely been banned from the platform for accepting money outside of Airbnb.