Possible scam guests

Answered!
Denise120
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Possible scam guests

I sometimes get requests from people that I believe are somewhere in a 3rd world country trying to figure out how to get something out of me.  The language is strange, the requests vague and seem not to observe the Airbnb process; they usually don't have enough verification to suit me.  Then I get the messages from Airbnb about how I should pre-approve or invite this guest.  How do I let airbnb know that these guests look suspicious and I really need more information before inviting them into my home--to stop telling me to invite them.

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You can flag the guest maybe? Click on the little flag icon and it will offer you to put down a reason. Not sure what happens after that. I flagged a listing a long time ago and it is still there (fake listing).

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Karen195
Level 1
Nashville, TN

We have had the exact same thing twice!
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You can flag the guest maybe? Click on the little flag icon and it will offer you to put down a reason. Not sure what happens after that. I flagged a listing a long time ago and it is still there (fake listing).

Rachel141
Level 1
Bloomington, IL

I decline the pre-authorization. When you do that online, you have the option to tell Airbnb why you're declining. If it's a maybe- I decline and tell the guest why. When I have done that, the potential guests have understood

Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

Hi @Denise0

The mail you receive are just automatic email to remind to you that you have received a request.

you don't need to do anything, don't need even to open that kind of emails, just decline the weird guest and forget about. 😉

It's your home.
Cheers Raffaele
Stephen129
Level 4
Tampa, FL

I just received a sap story of a guest and her family, and requesting if I would let them use my space for free.  I do not know the scam or if it's just a creative sincere mom.

Basically, both adults lost their jobs, they have a child, and they lost their house, oh AND they have no family in town.  Claim they need a place for a few days, for FREE.

I thank "her" and sent her info for local Shelters and Charities.

I'm sure it's a scam though.  And, of course, she has no history with AirBnB.  I wish AirBnB would do a better job of screening cleints and requiring credit cards on file, etc.  

What do i do when someone tells me they paid to rent my house through Trip Advisor to a UK account but did not rent my house?

They have sent a bank account number in the UK and a name?    BUT they have not given me their full name, they do not seem too concerned,    they have not given me the date and amount they paid?    They have no profile and no reviews?

AIRBNB    has not responded at all to help me verify the inquiry?    i have red flagged,    the inquirer is asking me for my email address but they have not notified their bank to follow up on the UK account,    they have not notified Trip Advisor where they made the booking.

I'm thinking this is a scammer phishing

The main problem is it has taken up my time and AIRBNB have no customer service??    so i am left in the dark to either contact Lloyds bank of london,  not that they would answer me but they would check the account and see if it fraudelent.

Feel v unsupported by AIRBNB     because this is an industry problem in 10 seconds they could check out the inquirer and tell me she is a fake and deleter her.

Obviously it is a scam, don't even indulge it.  

Regarding AirBnB's lack of customer support, I think we need to start a movement to get AirBnB back on board to provide customer service.  I've been with AirBnB for years and in the beginning they had great service, they were accessible by phone and e-mail.  They would call me, and I could call them.  Now that they are bigger than ever and their founders are worth billions, they provide ZERO customer service; frankly, it's appalling.  No phone service no e-mail service.  Thus, while the SCAMS are on the rise, AirBnB's support is on the decline and is all but non-existent.

Hi, I have a few international numbers that are linked to text messages I received from some of my guests. (These mumbers do not belong to them and are from the US).

Although I reported this to Airbnb and questioned the validity thereof, I was told that 'it is probably airbnb numbers'.

Above all, none of these numbers are on the Airbnb contact number list.

Where can I report this, could it be a scam?

Marianne - South Africa.

Have a look at the Contact Airbnb post towards the top of this forum. It has all the ways of contacting Airbnb.

Jennifer110
Level 2
Djakarta, Indonesia

I am a host, and I have just received a suspicious inquiry from someone named Kris without any profile picture or location. I really wish Airbnb put a "feedback to Airbnb" column whenever a host declines a reservation, because a lot of time we have to decline a suspicious request and we want to report to avoid other hosts from getting into trouble.

About this Kris guy, he said he is coming for a business trip and his company gives him budget of US$3000 for 4 nights, but he wants to stay with his friend and keep the company budget so he wanted to book my place, I can keep 20% or US$500 and I should send the rest of the money ($2500) to him after check in. (the original payout he has to pay at my place if he really stay at my place is only less than US$100).
I have declined the offer but he offered again. As this requests sounds very suspicious, I am just worried other hosts may be susceptible to this potential scam; and I was not given an option to tell Airbnb what was wrong when I clicked decline - other reasons.

I am quite disappointed that Airbnb has removed feedback function so we cannot reach out to them as easily as before.

@Jennifer110

So, this complete stranger wants you to participate in a fraud on his company, stay a million miles away from this.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club krakow

@Cormac0 wrote:

@Jennifer110

So, this complete stranger wants you to participate in a fraud on his company, stay a million miles away from this.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club krakow

@Cormac0

I am guessing there is no company at all, that he is just making everything up.

Worst case scenario: we receive a fake cheque/other payment method of $3000, and then pay him $2500 upon the supposedly check in date, and then we lose the $2500.

I am hosting in Indonesia, and I know a lot of hosts may be lured to this kind of scam. That's why I want to report to Airbnb but I can't find a direct method other than "report a bug", which they said they won't read one by one.

Kevin940
Level 10
Quinns Rocks, Australia

@Jennifer0 This sounds like money laundering.  Run a mile.

Just have received a very similar offer:

"Hello, The fact is that I'm going on a business trip.Under the contract, my company pays me housing. But I have a place to stay
I wanted to know if you would be comfortable Accept a reservation on 7 days in the region of $ 1200, Leave 20% and transfer the rest to my bank-acc?"

😕