Possible to cancel within 24 hours of a strict cancelation policy?

Alon2
Level 1
New York, NY

Possible to cancel within 24 hours of a strict cancelation policy?

Hi All 

I wanted to cancel a reservation that has a strict policy. Is it possible to do so within the first 24 hours?

34 Replies 34
Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Letitia... I fully understand that and agree. I'm suggesting a reasonable compromise. I cancelled within half an hour of booking and have politely asked host to consider a refund and he has not even acknowledged my request. I don't think this should be allowed and would encourage consumers not to book with this policy because it's very unbalanced. Airbnb should come up with a better compromise than this. As I said, the only way to change this is to not book them and having had this experience I will definitely not choose this again. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Sandy219 For bookings made post May 2018, you can now cancel for free within 48 hours. Give Airbnb a call if you can't work out how to do this.

@Sandy219 WIth the new grace period on Strict policies you will now be able to cancel 48 hours after booking penalty free, so long as it's 14 days out. If it's within 24 to 48 hours I would refund no problem for a caneled reservation, mistakes happen and someone accidently booked or plans changed in the last few days after booking I understand this. My issue is tying up my calendar for months and then canceling. 

Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Helen I'll do that. Appreciate the advice. 

Sharon652
Level 2
Surrey, Canada

I find the strict policy a bit confusing. My interpretation is if I have to cancel it must be more than 30 days prior to check in...is this incorrect?