Post Pandemic Door Codes

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Post Pandemic Door Codes

I presently enjoy the ability to work from home and therefore am always on hand during our afternoon check-ins and can activate our door code just a few minutes ahead of time to prevent unauthorized early check-ins, for which we do charge a fee.  However, the pandemic is now winding down, I will most likely be back on a regular office hours work schedule soon and will have to start programing our door code around 7 in the morning when I leave for work, since there will be no one in the home to do so in the afternoon.

What do people think  of not sending the door code until an hour before check-in ?  I say this since I would say a good 15-20% of my guests have made comments and innuendoes about arriving early and only back down when I advise them the door code will not go active until the day of check-in at check-in time.  And even with that I still have had a few people show up early.  If the door code were active in the morning, and the person knew this, there would be nothing to stop people cheating and arriving early.

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anthony608  I check in all my guests, so have not ever used a lock box, door code system. 

But I know there are plenty of electronic door locks that you can program and activate and deactivate remotely from your phone. It seems like that's the type you should have.

For me personally, I like to have all my ducks in a row well ahead of time when travelling- I wouldn't book a place if the host told me they only send the door code an bour before check-in.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Anthony608 I bought a relatively inexpensive electronic lock that works with an app on my phone. I can generate timed and dated codes for my guests. I tell them what time their code will be active. They're unlikely to show up early if they can't get in.  Easy peasy.

I don't know what system you are using but it doesn't seem to be working for you. This is really quite simple. 

As @Sarah977  said, if I were a traveler coming to be your guest, I'd probably be uptight if I didn't receive a code until an hour before check-in. 

For me, the parts and Internet connection adapters all toped out at around $165.

@Kia272  I’m new and learning the ropes. I like your system. Can you share what brand of electronic lock you referenced in this conversation. Interested in getting a remote system I can program for guest codes. 

@Brenda1034 - Yeah- I love this thing! I don't know if I can post a link here? I'll try, but if it gets blocked, it's a Hornbill lock. I bought it on Amazon. It lists for about $130 but right now there's a $30 coupon, so about $100. There's a Wifi "bridge" that I am not using, so for example, I can't unlock the door remotely. Basically, my phone has to sync with the lock or be within 6 ft to open or lock the door, and I don't think my codes are active unless I've synced since they were generated. Anyway, it works for me right now as I live on the property. I'd love to get the bridge though. It's a money thing....

Anyway, you put the app on your phone and you have an interface to generate passcodes. I was letting the app generate random codes, but I just figured out that I can do custom codes, so I am starting to use the last 4 digits of the guest's cell number. I enter the guest name and then the dates and times of their stay. You can also check the code activity in the app, so for example, I can see if they've arrived because the app tells me when their code is used. I highly recommend it. It was also easy to install, especially if you already have a deadbolt. 

The lock has worked seamlessly since installed. Good luck! 

Here' s the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081JQX6BY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you so much for info. Going to check it out. 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

@Kia272 @Sarah977 - I went ahead and made the leap and purchased the equipment for remote keyless entry.  The parts and devices arrive next week, I hope it all works out.  I agree that people would not like being told the door code only an hour ahead of time so I need to find a solution.  I also think a large number of guests, if they knew the door code was active at 7AM, wouldn't gave a hoot about a 3PM checkin time and would just show up early.

@Anthony608  Yes, there are plenty of stories here of guests letting themselves in early- in some cases even walking in on the guests who still have an active reservation because it's still before their check-out time.