Potential guest requesting a special offer/ discount to meet her budget

Answered!
Kit45
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Potential guest requesting a special offer/ discount to meet her budget

I am dealing with a guest who would like to book my place for three nights but want me to lower the price to fit her budget.  The guest is asking me to send a special offer and remove the cleaning fee.

I had already lowered the price and explained to the guest that I could not lower it any more.  The cleaning fee is to pay my cleaning lady.

As well, I am not sure if she will arrive before the check in time (by 9pm).

My instinct tells me that this may not be a positive hosting experience for me.  I am reluctant to send the guest "pre-approve".

Any advise.

1 Best Answer
Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Kit45 Your rate is already super low, why would you consider lowering it more? Personally I would be offended and worried what else the guest will want you to subsidize. It sounds like you already have your mind made up, follow your instincts on this one. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Kit45 Your rate is already super low, why would you consider lowering it more? Personally I would be offended and worried what else the guest will want you to subsidize. It sounds like you already have your mind made up, follow your instincts on this one. 

Hi Katrina, thanks for your advice. Yes, I do have concern with what else the guest will want me to subsidize!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kit45  I would message her back "Sorry, XX, I cannot offer any further discounts or waive the cleaning fee."

Then do nothing else. You don't have to either preapprove or decline an Inquiry (Booking Requests are different, you do have to Accept or Decline within 24 hours) at all- just messaging back is sufficient and you won't be dinged. You can safely ignore the proddings from Airbnb to pre-approve.

Try to be hard-hearted when guests plead poverty and ask you to discount. It's always a bad sign- they will go on to ask for more special treatment. A guest is a total stranger to you- their financial situation is none of your affair and it's disrespectful to you and your place to ask for a discount.

Thanks Sarah. I just did that as per your advice.

Yes, it is a very bad sign when the guest asked me to waive the cleaning fee.  There are other bnb places in my area that offer lower prices but its for a private bedroom, not the entire condo unit.