Practical Tips to Become A Super-Host by A Super-Host

Damla4
Level 2
Istanbul, Turkey

Practical Tips to Become A Super-Host by A Super-Host

Hello all!

As a newly super-host, I want to share my experiences with you. I have started my Airbnb hosting journey for 4 months as a co-host. And you can imagine, pandemic crushed all over the World. Since our flat is in a really unique place in Istanbul, Turkey, we hosted many people from different countries instead of pandemics. After 4 months, we collected "super-host" badge. However, we did nothing extra for that. I think this is the key to become super-host. Here are my tips to enlight your road on this journey:

1) Put yourselves into your guests: You are in a country where you don't know totally. And also, you will spend your precious off-days on this holiday. First of all, you need clarity. Be honest to your guests! For example, our flat is in a historical apartment built in the Ottoman Era. So, there isn't an elevator in the apartment and the flat is on the final floor. We have mentioned this information in several places on our Airbnb page. Thanks to all of our guests are athletics, the situation didn't turn a disaster 🙂 Besides, they had already known this. If they hadn't, their motivation and joy for the holiday would have been gone at the beginning. 

2) Show your hospitality: In addition to Airbnb guides, you can do a little bit more for your guests. You put photos of your flat and practical information about it. However, what about your neighbourhood? Besides one-paragraphed description, we prepared an eat and drink guide for our guests included our suggestions in the neighbourhood. Our guide consists of only stomach business but we thought that as a tourist, possibly you have searched historical and touristic places beforehand. However, you can fall into a trap about restaurants. There are lots of places that seem attractive but unsavoury. When you are preparing your guide, please do not try to include all of your city. You aren't the tourist information bureau. Keep it local, intimate, and delicious. This guide turned to us lots of beautiful comments.

3) Don't lose control: It is obvious that cleaning is crucial for hosting. And in pandemics, it became much more important. About cleaning, I want to warn the hosts who don't welcome the guests by themselves. Definitely, you have to check your flat after cleaning for once. We had to warn our cleaner several times. Sometimes they forgot to empty the fridge, to take the trash out, or to remove dust from several places. Think of yourself as a shopkeeper. Possibly you wouldn't leave your shop to someone else without your control. So, don't allow your guests to see unintentional mess before you.

4) Hurry up: Quick responses are really important when you want to become a super-host. Nobody wants to face a wall after started a conversation. Let's keep it simple: Be as quick as possible when someone writes to you.

5) Be helpful: This principle can be applied to any situations. For instance, shopping can be easily handled by online platforms these days. Therefore, if you share market applications in your country with your guests, they would be appreciated. Or, when your guests don't find your place, try to meet with them in an easier location and guide them till the flat. It is easy to be a kind and good person 🙂

Here are the tips are in my mind. Please contribute your experiences. If you want to check my flat, I am sharing a link down below. I hope this post helps you.

-----

Modern designed studio flat with 360 Istanbul view:

https://www.airbnb.com.tr/rooms/45096074

The Super-Co-Host of the best flat in Istanbul
5 Replies 5
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Damla4, it's nice to know that you've already learnt so much during your 4 initial months of hosting! Thanks for sharing those great tips with the Community, I'm sure new starters will benefit from them 😊

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Damla4 Great tips for any host, thank you for sharing! It does take a genuine effort to provide a wonderful stay and promote a positive experience. What a view of Istanbul! I have a painting of the nighttime skyline of Istanbul and if I ever travel there would definitely look for a flat like yours. Best of luck in the new year. 

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

Congratulations on your SuperHost @Damla4 It sounds like you've gone the extra mile to earn it. I hope your guests continue to appreciate you as much as they have so far.

Said132
Level 2
New York, United States

Hi Damla. I really like Turkey after having visited it two years ago. Me and my wife would like to buy a small property there, but would also like to be able to put it on airbnb when we are not there on vacation. Can a person list an apartment on airnbnb, or does it have to be a house? I have a lot of questions, but that is the main one. Also, are there neighborhoods where the laws do not allow airbnb?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Damla4  Congratulations!

And what a wonderful view from your listing 🙂

Great advice. I agree very much with your tips. Some of them are probably well known to more experienced hosts, but the points you make about the guidebook and cleaning are worth noting even for those who have been hosting for a long time.

You are right. We are not the tourist information office! Guests really appreciate local recommendations, especially places to eat and 'insider tips'. The rest (info on tourist attractions) they can just ask us if they need to. Helping them find their way around is also really important. 

My cleaners are very good but, depending on who they send to my property, some things can get forgotten. For example, the ladies who are coming at the moment often forget cleaning cloths around the house. They may sometimes put the rubbish or recycling into the wrong bins, and they usually leave a lot of lights on! It's not a big deal and the last two points don't really affect the guests, but the first one would. I always do a quick whizz around the house before a new guest arrives.