Pre-set cleaning fee - withdrawal

Malvína0
Level 1
Aalborg, Denmark

Pre-set cleaning fee - withdrawal

Hi. I'm hosting and I set the cleaning fee, which I want to withdraw for individual guests, when they agree to do the final cleaning themselves. Any advice what's the the best way to do it? Thanks in advance!

Mal

3 Replies 3
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Malvína0, I strongly advise that you not depend on guests to do the cleaning.

For one thing, the standard will vary considerably, and one guest might overlook something that the next guest will find and possibly complain about in a review. For another, a guest might be enthused about not paying a cleaning fee, but by the time the visit comes to an end, he/she will likely be much less enthusiastic, and just give the place a cursory wipe-over, if at at all.

Would you trust others to inspect everything as well as you would yourself? And how exactly would you ask for the money? It's generally best not to introduce any cash-related transactions into the AirBnB experience. They can become fiddly and uncomfortable. For instance, for a short while I tried collecting the required local tourist tax in cash (€2,90 pp per night) but found it too stressful. So I simply worked out the percentage and added it to my nightly fee. Perfect solution. My fee is still extremely reasonable, and doesn't seem to have prevented bookings. 

If a guest is booking a holiday trip, the last thing she/he wants is to spend the last couple of hours cleaning the accommodation.

Charge a cleaning fee - perhaps less that what you currently indicate - and allow guests to relax right up to the last moment of their stay. 😉 

I'd recommend that you adjust your House Rules accordingly as well. Be very specific about what the boundaries are. 

------------------------------------

Essential reading for hosts.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Thank you Donna!

It makes sense and I think you are right - I shouldn't depend on my guests regarding the cleaning and rather let them to leave without a need to stress about it too much.

Thanks for your advice!

Best regards, Malvina

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Take the view that the cleaning fee is your guarantee to the next host that the place has been cleaned to your requirements, not that the previous guests have done it for you.