“Preferred Tenant” for long-term rental

Answered!
Jennie173
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

“Preferred Tenant” for long-term rental

Hi, I’m hoping some hosts can help me out. I recently found a flat/room listing in Glasgow on Gumtree, and reached out to find out about it. The owner was very forthcoming with information about herself, but she’s based in Spain and so isn’t able to show me the property herself.

She’s asking me to do a long-term rental through Airbnb, which I am happy to do in theory, but she’s asked me to provide a copy of my ID before she opens up the rental listing on Airbnb so she can set me as a “preferred tenant”. Is this a thing? 

I’ve asked to have a video chat with her before giving any info of that sort, but I also just wanted to see if this was a standard thing hosts do for their own protection? 

Any help welcome!

1 Best Answer
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Jennie173 

Jennie, I'd recommend you familiarize yourself with the discussion in the link

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

From what you write, the  'I'm in Spain' part sounds like part of a commonly attempted scam.

Where exactly are the apartment keys?

Why not consider booking someplace directly on airbnb for a couple of weeks then look for a place when you are in situ.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Jennie173 

Jennie, I'd recommend you familiarize yourself with the discussion in the link

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

From what you write, the  'I'm in Spain' part sounds like part of a commonly attempted scam.

Where exactly are the apartment keys?

Why not consider booking someplace directly on airbnb for a couple of weeks then look for a place when you are in situ.

Jennie173
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks, Elena (oddly enough, the name of the person I’ve been emailing with!). I’ll see what the reaction is to my suggestion of a video call, but I have a feeling that this is, sadly, a scam.

@Jennie173 it is definitely a scam but do have fun wasting their time and suggesting video calls etc!!!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jennie173  This is a scam. Stop communicating with this criminal. No video call. You don't want them having your phone number. This isn't how Airbnb works.

Jennie173
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks Sarah! It would’ve been a Zoom meeting if we’d video called - I definitely wouldn’t give my number. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, though!