Pregnant wife couldn't travel so what can we do? Cancellation

Ben234
Level 1
Attleborough, United Kingdom

Pregnant wife couldn't travel so what can we do? Cancellation

Hi all

We were due to travel to France a few weeks ago and stay at a lovely place with friends. 

My wife has a pregnancy related illness which meant a hospital stay an advice not to travel, which happened a few weeks before our stay. Our friends still went and we did not go and informed the host. Our insurance company said we could claim this back.

Since sending off lots of paperwork they are now asking us to confirm that we could not get a refund (which we couldn't as the accomodation was still going to be used by friends) and they also want a list of all guests staying. 

I've read lots of info on the help pages but can't find anything that says a partial refund cannot be claimed for if only half the party can still attend. 

Really don't know what to do and don't want to lose £567!

Any advice appreciated. 

4 Replies 4
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Ben234 you can always send an alteration request to change the # of guests. Your host has the rights & option to decline the alteration request. If the host declines and this falls under the extenuating circumstances, you can reach out to Airbnb for their assistance.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ben234 Did you ask the host to change or accept your change of the booking (e.g. lower the number of people) BEFORE or at least on the first day of that stay? I am afraid there is not much you can do after the stay - check the cancellation policy rules.

What you are referring to as "a partial refund" is done by altering the reservation.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Ben234
Level 1
Attleborough, United Kingdom

No as the friend that booked the trip lives in Australia and I live in the UK. I made him aware of the circumstances and he informed the host but no mention was made of changing the number of attendees. I think he just mentioned to him that the number of people would now be reduced and that was it. 

I don't want the host to refund anything. Just need acknowledgement from him that he will not be refunding anything. 

@Ben234 you said that you don't want the host to refund anything? In your post, you said that you don't want to lose £567. I am confused.