Presence

Emily47
Level 1
Falmouth, MA

Presence

I recently had a review where a guest was perturbed that I did not pay enough attention to them. I gave her a card with my phone number, as well as informed her of my address repeatedly since she never seemed to have it available when driving. I helped move her bags in. I spent over 20 minutes chatting with them on their arrival about location of local restaurants, food recommendations, and locations. When she returned, I had anothe 20 minute discussion with her about local businesses, the local economy, and the need for interior designers (her career was possibly moving here). Yes, my boyfriend was there but he left us alone when we chatted and was not an imposing presence. I think she saw him maybe twice. She feels I was not listening to her at all and was not present! I do a great deal of volunteer work, managing a local medical clinic, running, and have a bustling social life so I can't be a buddy to my guests at all hours. How much am I expected to be present when a guest is at my home? I make an effort to make myself available to guests at all times (in person or via text) but I cannot possibly be home 24/7. 

3 Replies 3
Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

Some people are just lonely.  It happens and you get this.

To escape these situations many hosts leave the key in a secure area and email them a welcome document including where to find the key.  No real difference to a hotel.

This may free up your time in future 🙂

Ok, i am being a bit sarcastic.

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Emily47, I checked your listing but didn't find that review. The two that were there were very positive. Did the guest make those comments in a private message to you? If so, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If you respond, be objective. Maybe say something like you regret that she felt you hadn't been 'present' or paying attention, when in fact you'd enjoyed the brief exchanges, but you had other commitments you'd needed to tend to (work, charity, etc.) at the time, and hadn't realised she had expected to spend more time with you. And you hope she enjoyed her stay in your accommodation. 

Another possibility is that precisely because of your varied commitments, you might  have appeared restless or distracted during those exchanges. If that's what happened, it might be a good opening for you to step back and examine priorities and - as I believe is said in Zen teachings - 'When you're drinking tea, drink tea'. 🙂 Meaning focus only on what you're doing at any given moment.  Just a thought. I'm being in no way judgemental here. 🙂

Anyway, strange for sure, but there's nothing stranger than folk. And who knows what goes on in the human heart, eh? 🙂 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Weird guest - you are not a personal concierge service for your guests. Leave an honest review so that other hosts know what to expect - she sounds like hard work!