Pressure to Accept a Certain Amount of Guest Requests- even if they have NO reviews-

Maggie46
Level 4
Burlington, VT

Pressure to Accept a Certain Amount of Guest Requests- even if they have NO reviews-

Hi-

I'm concerned re the expectation from Air BnB that I accept a certain number of requests - even when the potential guests have NO Reviews yet...Also, when it's not a good match for their needs.

For example, currently, I have a request for a guest room.  However, the guest said she needs a cool bedroom.  With the heat we've had and fans only I can't guarantee that.  Also, she has no reviews, no picture etc.  I've explained this to her and have asked her to please cancel the request, to avoid my "Accepted Reservations" quota being dinged.  This seems ridiculous for Air bnb to incentivize this with the lax requirements required from guests.

I would like to see a change so that IF guests choose to use Instabook they MUST first have two positive reviews from other hosts.

There is also incentives/pressure to use InstaBook and encouragement in general to book book book.  I do have InstaBook after starting being a host without it.  I'm fine with it if someone has a couple of positive reviews.  If they don't, the space description requests a reference.  I've had numerous guests who have done this and it's worked out.

I also have had way too many guests NOT read the description and details.  I learned, the hard way, to put in a Hidden Question to answer, to assure all has been read and they find it a good match for them.

Let's have a change to this policy Air bnb.

Thanks,

Maggie

Burlington VT

3 Replies 3

Actually @Maggie46 when you have IB activated you are given the choice to allow only guests who meet certain requirements IB - ABB standard requirements, Government-issued ID, recommendation from other hosts and guest trip information. 

When I get booking requests from guests where it is clear they did not read, I usually tell them they need to withdraw the request because if hosts decline it affects our scores. I also make a point to tell them IF I were to accept and they try to cancel later, ABB won't refund their fees AND I have a strict cancellation policy and I am under no obligation to refund. So if they don't want to go thru the hassle of losing money for a cancellation they should withdraw the request to book immediately because I am perfectly willing to host the guest according to MY rules. And I very clearly reiterate my rules and make it very clear I don't allow exceptions. Most have been quick to withdraw their booking request 🙂 

Thankyou @Jessica-and-Henry0!

I dont have the option to require previous reviews/reccomendations from hosts before using IB. 

Do you on yours?

thks much!

Maggie

@Maggie46

Under "Calendar" go to Availability Settings -> Booking settings 

For "How guests can book" choose "Guests who meet your requirements can book instantly" then click SAVE.

Next go to "Guest requirements" then select (check) government-issued ID, Recommendation from other hosts and Guest trip information, then click SAVE. 

Hope this helps~