Prevent check-in on the same day as check-out

Answered!
Sean1030
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Prevent check-in on the same day as check-out

The setting for "Preparation time" is one day before AND after. But we only want a preparation time of the check-out day. So far this doesn't seem possible. The preparation time of 1 before and 1 after blocks off way too much time.

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The 1 day prep time setting doesn't block 2 days. It does exactly what you want it to do. 

It is written in a convoluted way that would make anyone think it blocked 2 days. But the "1 day after" Booking A. doubles up/overlaps as the "1 day before" Booking B. Nowhere is this explained and it took me a long time to figure this out. 

What it should say is "Block one day between bookings" because that is exactly what it does. So go ahead and check the one day prep time.

@Sean1030

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The 1 day prep time setting doesn't block 2 days. It does exactly what you want it to do. 

It is written in a convoluted way that would make anyone think it blocked 2 days. But the "1 day after" Booking A. doubles up/overlaps as the "1 day before" Booking B. Nowhere is this explained and it took me a long time to figure this out. 

What it should say is "Block one day between bookings" because that is exactly what it does. So go ahead and check the one day prep time.

@Sean1030

So given this situation

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.05.59 PM.png

The person that is booked ON the 26th would have been able to actually book the 25th? We just want to make sure that no one can check-in on the 24th. But the 25th would be fine.

Thanks!

@Sean1030 No, it doesn't look like it, does it? I see what you mean. The 25th is definitely blocked. But I think, yes, the guest on the 26th could have booked the 25th.

I've always had one day prep time set and on mine it would have shown that prep time bar only extending into the 25th if I didn't have another reservation on the 26th. But I haven't been hosting my home-share since March due to COVID, so maybe something has changed.

But what might be happening there is that because you do have a booking on the 26th, the 25th is showing as blocked because you couldn't take a reservation on the 25th now due to you wanting one day prep time between bookings.

What you could do is look ahead on your calendar to where you have a future booking without another booking soon after and try to book your own listing (not following all the way through to sending the request, of course) using incognito mode (or get a friend with a Airbnb account to try) with a date that only leaves 1 day prep time after the reservation you have. So say you have a guest check-out on your calendar on the 5th of January, but no other reservations until January 10th, see if it will let you input a booking for Jan. 6-8.

If it won't I'm stumped and it's going to impact me as well when I reopen.

@Sarah977 @Sean1030 

"Block one night before and after each reservation" looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 10.04.35 PM.png

"Block two nights before and after each reservation" looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 10.06.01 PM.png

@Sean1030 Are you sure your setting are set to one night and not two nights?

@Sean1030 Wait a minute . . it actually depends on how the bookings fall. For your example above, the person who booked on the 26th had the option to book on the 25th. But since they booked on the 26th and you have a check out on the 24th that will leave both the 24th and 25th unavailable because of how the bookings fell on your calendar. Does that make sense? Here is a screenshot of my October. I have one prep night before and after but some booking gaps are larger depending on when new reservations came in. The next "day" after a check out is always an option for check-in but not all reservations will fit the gaps so perfectly. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 10.14.32 PM.png

Yeah, that's what I was trying to explain as to why Sean's prep time is extended for 2 days in his screenshot- it's because he couldn't take another booking between the 24th check-out and the 26th check-in and still have a day to clean. @Emilia42

You're totally right! It is working as expected. I went to book on the live site and it says "checkout only" So that's perfect. They really should change the way this looks for hosts!

Thanks so much!

Like I said, it took me a long time to figure this out when I first started hosting. They really should say "Block one day between bookings", so it's not confusing, or at least make it clear that the "day after" block doubles up as the "day before" block.

I sent them feedback on this a long time ago, but nothing changed. Maybe you could send them feedback about it, too. You're not the first host who's posted here being baffled about this or thinking it would block 2 days.

@Sean1030

It's correct, I was able to confirm by trying to book on the live site. It said "checkout only". Thanks!!

Are there days you can set as "checkout only"? I am trying to prevent check out and check in on the same day.

@Sean1030

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sean1030 Click the Preparation Time 1 day before and 1 day after. Despite how you are looking at it, it will do exactly what you want it to do. 

Is there a setting that just blocks the rest of the day after someone checks out? Because I would like people to check in the NEXT day after someone checks out, but not the SAME DAY

@Emilia42 

@Morgen3  I just answered you on the other post you made with the same question. The one day prep setting does exactly what you want.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Yes, that's how mine have always looked, like the first one. Sean will have to check some future reservation, as I suggested,  to see if it's blocking two nights after, because the one he posted wouldn't have been open anyway with a check-out on the 24th and a check-in on the 26th. @Emilia42