Preventing same day check out/check ins

Answered!
Ela18
Level 1
Katoomba, Australia

Preventing same day check out/check ins

I’d like to block the full day that I already have guests booking in. Airbnb allows you to auto block out the day BEFORE (or after) you have guests already booked in, but then I lose a day of income. The flip side when I turn that function off, is that airbnb allows people to auto-book into the day that I already have guests booked - meaning I have to do a changeover on that day. I want people to be able to check out the day before so I have a night to do a changeover, but it currently doesn’t allow it and airbnb keep responding that this function is not currently available. Does this issue bother anyone else?

1 Best Answer
Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

As usual, sloppy terminology by Airbnb - if they said 'block 1 NIGHT before' it would be much clearer!

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22

@Candy6  It's "Advance Notice" under your Availability setting at the top of your calendar page.

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Up until this year, I've been able to have people check in and out on the same day. They check out at noon and new renters can check in from 16h00.

Suddenly, for next year, that does no longer seem to be an option.

If I block a day as 'booked', it can not be booked for a following period any more.

I contacted Airbnb about it, but they claim this approach has never been a possibility. Nevertheless, I have been doing it this way for the past two years or so.

What's even stranger, is that it IS possible to make a proceeding booking up to the day where I already have a booking for the following period.

So, it is possible to book from February 27th to March 3rd, and from March 3rd to March 6th (existing booking), but not from March 6th to...

Does this makes sense to anyone?

@Linda416 I suspect you are confusing days with nights. Airbnb works on nights so blocking March 6th means the night of the 6th so no one can check in that day but they can leave that day.

Okay. Sounds reasonable.

But the thing is that I never had problems with it before. So now I'm adjusting all my bookings for next year, and it gets pretty confusing this way. I have to leave the date blank, but ad a remark with the name of the person renting to know that that specific date is still available for booking. 

@Linda416 we have a similar problem when we 'add' private bookings into the Airbnb calendar. It looks different to an Airbnb booking but it is a small price to pay to allow the guest to avoid the booking fee.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Deleted-duplicate post.

John2980
Level 2
Dana Point, CA

Let's get back to the initial question: How do we block a check-in on the day of departure? I've tried to do it manually, and the software won't allow it.

Are you wanting to prevent a same day check-out, check-in for just one particular reservation or as an ongoing schedule? If ongoing, you set "one day prep time" in your availability settings, as is explained on the first page of this thread.

@John2980