Price Increase after I book?

Answered!
Kelly170
Level 2
Middle River, MD

Price Increase after I book?

I made my 5th reservation today on the site.

However about 2 hours after I get an increase booking price thing from the host. I declined because she was $150+ more for 3 nights and claimed airbnb had the wrong price for her summer rates.

When I declined she asked me to cancel my reservation and wished me the best in finding a new place. I  beyond mad right now. What is my recourse? If I cancel I will be charged a fee through no fault of my own and my money is tied up 3-5 days for this nonsense. 

1 Best Answer

@Kelly170  Like @Wendy-and-Frank0 said, do not cancel.  This host is trying to strong-arm you.  You won't receive your Airbnb service fees back if you cancel.  I would again tell the host that you will NOT cancel and since SHE wants to cancel the booking, SHE needs to do it from her end.  OR she can, obviously, keep the booking as-is. 

Personally, I would just wait out the host and make her cave first, but if you just want to be done with the situation, you can Contact Airbnb and they will review your messages and mostly likely cancel on the host's behalf and you will get a full refund.  But at the same time, the host likely won't be penalized either and, in this case, I would want the host to feel the burn of her mistake. (But that's just me)

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60
Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

The host has to either honor the original deal or to cancel your reservation on his end. If you cancel the reservation 24 hours after you book, the Airbnb will not refund you their fee. Also, it may go on your record (not sure).

My advice - just wait for the  host to either cancel or to honor it.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Kelly170 

If your host won't accommodate your reservation as booked and won't cancel, use these procedures to formally request that the host cancel: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/what-should-i-do-if-my-host-needs-to-cancel

This way the host knows that Airbnb is aware of the situation and will put the host on the spot to either honor the reservation as is or cancel and suffer the many penalties Airbnb imposes on hosts who cancel. 

Hope this helps!

Kelly170
Level 2
Middle River, MD

I think i dodged a bullet on this host.  This makes me very wary about booking again 😞  I instead am sleeping on the floor of a friend's hotel room for my convention. The reservation is now canceled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

LAST OF THE CONVO (I never responded because I was driving while my phone kept dinging):

I can pay you back your Airbnb fees...Please just cancel the reservation, and then take a screenshot of how much service fee they charge you. Then I will pay you back through either Airbnb or Paypal. If I don't pay you back you can call Airbnb to sue me, so no worries. Thanks... I understand we both did not do anything wrong in this case.

I simply feel like now even if you stay at my place, you won't enjoy your trip too...

My phone number is (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN). If you can't send the screenshot picture here, you can send me a text message. Thanks

If you really insist, I can still be your host. Because I really don't want to make this cancellation and loss my opportunity to be a super host... Please let me know what do you think. Thanks..

Sorry Kelly I am canceling this reservation because of our disagreements. Wish you will find another good host.

Thanks. I have cancelled it. Thanks. Wish you all the best.
Today at 6:34 PM

Hosts like this make my blood boil. Iy refelcts on all of us

@David-and-Fiona0 Me too! Makes my blood boil even more when they blame Airbnb for their mistake.  If it really was a mistake on Airbnb's part (and God knows there are many glitches) the best thing a host can do is contact Airbnb, not ask the guest to pay more. 

Kelly170
Level 2
Middle River, MD

@Kelly170, I saw your blog post.

I hope you will take the time to add that the ABB forums offered help as best we could.

Unfortunately, we all get painted with the same brush in these cases.  😞

Don't give up on vacation rentals; you now know that sticking to your guns has its benefits.

Have a great trip!

Kelly170
Level 2
Middle River, MD

So here is AirBNB response:

Hi Kelly, we're sorry to hear your unexpected experience with the reservation, and we apologize that we couldn't provide quick support. We could confirm that the reservation has been cancelled by the host, and the full refund has been processed to your account. We really hope you will find an alternative listing for your stay, and please let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

--------

Her profile does not show she cancelled. Her booking for that weekend is still open and her room fee went from $100 a night what I was charged to $180 a night. Nevermind she tried to extort me for more money and pay me off to cancel my reservation. I am done. I filed a BBB complaint.

In instances such as this, contact Airbnb and PRESS FOR TRAVEL CREDIT, for the pain and aggravation, in ADDITION TO your FULL REFUND. If Airbnb is held accountable for such greedy tactics by their hosts, Airbnb will soon modify their algorithm to ENSURE those hosts are at the bottom of the search-results barrel. And maybe, just maybe, those hosts won't get a booking for the days they passed up. Shame on them. Here the other side of the coin: When we've messed up (forgotten to block off days) and have received a request for, say Thanksgiving or Christmas, we've even upgraded our guests from our private room/shared bath in our house at no charge to our apartment because, even though we are under no obligation to accept the request, we didn't have a good enough reason to turn them down: They sent a well-communicated message and were polite and excited about their trip--how could we be so greedy/cold and turn down a request from such delightful individuals? Even at TRIPLE the price, we'd MUCH rather have these kinds of guests ANY day over self-entitled ones--the bane of our hosting existence. 

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

I am just so angry that I basically make a contract with someone and plan your time around these vacations and then they are like OOOPS the price was wrong, accept my new fees or cancel.  I'm heartbroken.  This was a major thing for me to book this so I could run/walk the Cooper River Bridge in Charleston.  I don't get how a Host can just do this?  I think they just realized that the run was that weekend and they forgot to up the price.  How sad...this is a bucket list item for me. I was so tickled.  And they aren't even being nice about it.  Accept or cancel immediately.  

Richard375
Level 1
Poulsbo, WA

Booked a house with a teepee included to watch the eclipse in Lyons OR.  Price for two nights was under $700.   She cancelled it and relisted the same dates for $2200!    If this is the way this site works with no recourse to the guest and no punishment to the host then I will not be using Airbnb any more.  

ME TOO!!!!!  I am just so angry that I basically make a contract with someone and plan your time around these vacations and then they are like OOOPS the price was wrong, accept my new fees or cancel.  I'm heartbroken.  This was a major thing for me to book this so I could run/walk the Cooper River Bridge in Charleston.  I don't get how a Host can just do this?  I think they just realized that the run was that weekend and they forgot to up the price.  How sad...this is a bucket list item for me. I was so tickled.  And they aren't even being nice about it.  Accept or cancel immediately.  

What is wrong with people?  I don't get to do this often.  I don't get vacations and this was going to be so sweet.  just 3 nights.  

Anna791
Level 2
Camperdown, Australia

Hello,

This has happened to me as well! With the host saying the prices were not up to date for the time I have booked for, resulting in her sending me an 'alteration request' to double the price of what I booked her place for, or she has asked me to cancel the booking..

Not too sure what I should do

Edel4
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Hi Anna, I just contacted airbnbhelp in twitter and received a reply saying they will get someone to investigate and contact me. Please do the same so you can get report this people doing the scam and hopefully we can get our full refund.

Jay145
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

This could also be a scam. It's pretty popular for a scam artists to put up a listing and ask the guest to cancel the booking. That way depending on their cancelation policy they can get anywhere from 50 percent of the rental to 100 percent for doing absolutely nothing. Be careful of this scam!