Price increase after I ask a question of host

Mark644
Level 1
Ballarat, Australia

Price increase after I ask a question of host

Dear community,

I have found several posts noting that hosts have attempted to put their pricing up after making a booking. We made the error of asking a question about a booking, but not requesting to book, given we needed to clarify a couple of things before making the commitment.  They increased the price immediately before replying to our question.

I have seen that it is a breach of policy to put pricing up after a request for booking has been made. Can anyone help as to whether it is a breach of policy to put up pricing once a negotiation has begun?  

If nothing else it is very bad form, particularly given we have been pondering this property for 4 weeks, and it has remained unchanged in that time, until we asked our question.

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mark644

The next time Mark, check if the Host has preapproved you, because in that case they cannot change the price.

Did you feel that the price was some what low and you where making sure before you booked that everything was up to scratch? Perhaps the Host relised the price was of the mark and took advantage of your reticence to increase it.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Thank you Cormac. The price was reasonable, it was for a 16 bed accommodation for a conference. We needed to know about facilities for breakfast etc before committing to it, as it comes to about 800USD a night.  The increase on top of this was only about 10%, but it is the principle of the price being the same for a month before asking a question, and then it being increased before we commit.  

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Mark644. Possibly it is not a breach, but you might ask the host straightforwardly about the change in price and the reason behind it. I don't know how the original price compared to others, some hosts might set a bait...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you Marzena. I agree, it is likely not a breach, but I thought I would ask for real world experience, before discussing with them, to get an idea of how to raise the issue. Thanks for your advice.