Problem with a host after an accident in the apartment.

Elizabeth467
Level 1
Corvallis, OR

Problem with a host after an accident in the apartment.

We broke a stove cook top at an airbnb host's home (heavy items stored above the stove fell out and broke the cooktop when my daughter went to remove a tea pot).

We want to help with the cost of the replacement but the host says that the cost is about $3,500 including replacing the counter top and the oven.  I'm curious to hear from other hosts.  Do you have insurance to help with such accidents? What percentage is reasonable to expect a guest to contribute?

Airbnb has been of no assistance.  The host filed in the resolution center.  I have called three times and have been told that the issue has been given highest priority but I have  not heard back.  

I appreciate any insight or advice you have to offer.

Thank you,

Liz

6 Replies 6
Zein1
Level 2
Amman, Jordan

i guess no one replies to messeges like these? i just posted something similar :l

Paul-and-Chris0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Well, you could just ignore his payment request and then nothing will happen in my experience. 

Yes, I think that you are right!   That does give me some control.  And I've considered that option.  

It was truly an accident and while I can say there were small factors that contributed (by my daughter and by the host) it just was really truly an accident.  I'm not sure how to measure payment/responsibility.

I want to be fair about this.  What the host is telling me is that she has no insurance (she is in Iceland) and therefore wants me to pay the full cost of replacement, shipping, labor etc.  I've thought about offering what might typically be the cost of a deductible or security deposit (e.g. $500-1,000) of the $3,500 cost.  I don't know how to weigh the reality (she says) that she doesn't have insurance. I would not be an Airbnb host without getting insurance myself so it seems unusual to me.  

Since you are a host, I wonder what you think of this? Does it sound reasonable?  Wthout Airbnb's involvement it's hard for me to figure out a reasonable compromise.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Accidents happen, @Elizabeth467, even with the most responsible guests and you sound like a responsible person.  The process is that the host contacts the guest first to ascertain responsibility for the damage and I gather you agreed it was caused by your party or at least partially responsible.  The host will have to make a claim against the security deposit if there is one.  The host is required to provide proof of damage and proof of costs to fix the problem.  This takes time and Air BNB also researches whether the claim is reasonable.

Many hosts have insurance especially if it is an entire house and that is a separate process.  Anyway all this takes time.  Some home oweners insurance of guests may also cover accidental damage for which you accept responsibility.  You might check your own insurance.

Hope this helps a bit.

Linda,

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  Yes, it is helpful.  

The problem seems to be that Airbnb is not involved.  Or if they are involved, I can't see it from my end.  They may be working with the host, but they are not respoding to my requests for help.  (Or rather they have told me several times that they are sending my questions to a case manager who will call me, but this has not happened over the 48 hours or so since I called).

I want to be fair about this.  What the host is telling me is that she has no insurance (she is in Iceland) and therefore wants me to pay the full cost of replacement, shipping, labor etc.  I've thought about offering what might typically be the cost of a deductible or security deposit (e.g. $500-1,000) of the $3,500 cost.  Since you are a host, I wonder what you think of this? Does it sound reasonable?  Wthout Airbnb's involvement it's hard for me to figure out a reasonable compromise.  

As Paul and Chris say above, I probably could do nothing and nothing would happen.  

Thanks for any other insights that you have,

Liz

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Elizabeth467

Have a look at the Airbnb Help Centre it outlines how a host makes a claim under the deposit/host guarantee. In summary

1. They contact the guest

2. If guest doesn't/response/refuses to pay Airbnb arbitrates

3. Their decision is final.

All hosts should have insurance to cover their short term lets. It's not your responsibility that they decided not to take this out.

Having said that Airbnb promotes a much PR'd airbnb guarantee for hosts, which in reality is anything but. Hosts should be able to have confidence in being able to use it if guests damage their property.

In your situation, I would look online, find the cost of replacing the cooker hood and offer to pay for this plus a small labour charge.

Offer this to the host and if they aren't happy suggest they use Airbnb arbritration.