Problem with airbnb

Answered!
Todd383
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Problem with airbnb

I have been with airbnb since  and a superhost since 2013  and ready to cancel.

I recently had a guest who reserved for 1 week  after he checked in he mentioned to my cleaning person  he saw a dog in the yard and he has alergies my housekeeper told me he mentioned that and assured  him the dog has no access to his unit and is not permitted in there . When I got home I  I approached the guest to re assure him and also offer another airbnb that I co host that is much larger and usually more expensive  but I would do it at the same price being that he didn't read and didn't ask if I had a  dog when he made the reservation .He said he is fine and loved  my space  with that the next  morning I started to block his patio off so my dog doesn't go near as im doing it my dog goes up to his back window he takes a photo  from the inside saying its not working  so by the end of his first day I put a fence up so my dog has no access to his part of the backyard . He calls airbnb they message me saying they were  going to give a discount because its a health hazard   wtf  i said absolutely  not no way  after I spent a whole day fencing off his yard area   I go back to the guest ask him if there is anything I could do to make  his stay more comfortable he said everything  is perfect now thank you for being so accommodating he didn't even need to take a Sudafed

He stayed  5 more night 

Thanked me when he left and told me in a message that was the best part if his trip . I then get a message  from airbnb they have take 50 % of the entire stay and refunded  the guest 

Like I told airbnb on the first recorded conversation I am not giving up 1 dollar of my money for this I went above and beyond for this guest twice  I asked to speak to a supervisor contact me had one pose as one and tell me I had no recourse and if I dont like it he will just cancel  my listing  this is my first time I have had a major issue  with them do they not realize they need hosts just as much as they need guests and im out of work now but looks like I'm leaving airbnb they are not the only ones on the block. 

1 Best Answer

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Todd383That is really crappy. I would go back and continue to fight Airbnb on it. I had a situation like that last Christmas, and I fought it and Airbnb ended up refunding the guest out of their pocket rather than mine. In my case, the guest complained about the heating... that they had full control over. I like contacting Airbnb on Twitter @airbnbhelp. 

If I can make one small suggestion on your listings, it would be to include a pic of Philip and include a description in the photo title telling guests when, where and how often they can expect to see him. Even though guests have to agree to your terms, so few people read: I think a pic of him might help avoid this kind of situation in the future. I also have three large dogs on site at my listing (same deal, they don't enter the listing), and I have pics up of all three of them. 

Your listings are beautiful, and I hope you can get Airbnb to reverse their refund (or pay it themselves). 

@Alexandra316.  Picture!  Great suggestion.  It is maddening that we have to BEG and FIGHT Airbnb support.  Because they get it wrong...alot...:) 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Todd383 Airbnb are SO wrong.... You went above & beyond. It's like  complaining that a neighbor had a dog in the garden.... Could happen to anyone.... Some people are so 'precious'.....

Tth

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Even though my dog doesn't go in the guest space, I definitely mention in my listing that I have a dog and a cat and that if a guest has allergies to animals to PLEASE NOT BOOK my listing. I also reiterate the act that I have animals in a message to guests when they request a booking.

I can't imagine being highly allergic to something and not taking responsibility for my own health by asking a host before committing to a booking if they have animals around, but some guests just don't do that. So it's far better to make the presence of animals obvious in your listing info than have to deal with the kind of scenario you just did.

And it doesn't matter if the dog has access to the guest space- some guests may not be allergic, but are terrified of dogs and even cats. As a host, you just need to disclose those things.

@Todd383

Todd383
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

It is mentioned  twice in my listing. Should I also mention my neighbor has a dog  and my other neighbor has 2 cats. 

I am so sorry to hear all that, me too I am on. Y way out after my third guest leaves,  there is barely support in this platform., and I felt so threatened by a disrespectful guest.

Lorena690
Level 2
Orlando, FL

I Am sorry to hear that, maybe you can take your business to where they care about you.

I heard horrendous stories about it now. I wish I did before I had a bad experience and the customer service was the worst I ever received in my life