Profile Pic Not same as renter

Trisha92
Level 2
Midlothian, TX

Profile Pic Not same as renter

So we are fairly new to Airbnb.  This past weekend we had a gentleman in his late 30's possibly 40s rent for 2 nights, but a kid in his lower 20's showed up with friends.  I called support because this was concerning to me.  Support said the guy had several profile pics of a younger and older gentleman.  I could only see 1, so I asked them to share it with me so I could verify who was next door and support said they were not allowed?

How can 2 people share the same profile?  And is this normal? It made me nervous all weekend. 

3 Replies 3
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Trisha92  It's very difficult to get any personal guest info from CS. It's also difficult to get a straight answer that makes sense.

Profile pictures are of little use to any of us. A guest can look very different in person than they do in profile. The communication with the guest before and at booking will give you more clues about who you are dealing with. 

I would be more concerned about the 'friends' arriving with this person, since your listing occupancy is max 2, and you address unregistered guests in your house rules. It seems this guest broke some rules.  Was it a party? What did you say to the guest when you became aware of the unauthorized visitors, and what transpired after that?

I reminded him that only 2 people were on his booking and he assured me only two were staying, but lied to me. our security cameras show all three staying the night. Support was not very much help, and said it was our word against his and the security footage wasnt concrete evidence.    Apparently he told airbnb the picture was his dad, and him and his dad were staying there and "friends" were just hanging out with him.  Neither was true.

So how do others know who is actually renting their place?  

@Trisha92  Did they explain how video footage of 3 people going in and not coming out over night was not concrete evidence?  You might want to contact a different CS rep, and also try the chat function, that way there is a concrete record of what they say and what you say.

You may already be in line for a revenge review, so I would consider contacting Airbnb and saying that 1) guest profile photo does not match guest [if you don't have it add to your rules that guests much have a profile photo on their account of themselves or show ID when they arrive] 2)  video footage conclusively shows that the guest had unauthorized person(s) stay the night during covid and against your rules  3) you believe the guest has been dishonest with you and due to all these reasons you are uncomfortable with the reservation and want a PENALTY FREE cancellation.