Profile Pictures

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Profile Pictures

Does Airbnb require a valid profile picture?

I ask, as a lot of my guests from Asian countries appear to be teddy bears, stuffed dog toys, cartoon characters, or practically invisible as the photo was taken in such a dark room, that I cannot discern who they are.

What is Airbnb`s policy about the profile picture, and how is it enforced?  Is it enforced?

I`ve been pointing out to potential guests that they want to see who I am, and clear photos of my home.  Shouldn`t I get the same from them?

And shouldn`t you?

Kevin

103 Replies 103

Hi Barbora, I couldn't agree more with you!!! What Airbnb doesn't want to accept is that many hosts welcome complete strangers into their homes and thus it is only normal to get an idea of who is sleeping with you under the same roof. In light of all the stuff happening in the world hosts need to have some level of control or call it confidence on who they are dealing with. If this is not the a requirement I think there is not much difference anymore between staying at a Holiday Inn or an Airbnb accomodation. Airbnb's latest change in policy (where guests don't have to display a somewhat clear photo or a quick introduction) made me permanently deactivate my listings. They are so out of touch 😞

I have recently deactivated my listings too.  One person's profile picture was the view from his balcony. As I did my research on this guest, turned out he was a host as well but there was only the reviews from his own guests.  I booked him on this and as it turned out he was a complete germaphobic and showed signs of obsessive/ compulsion disorder.  I asked him for EST, to pick up a key from our other location  300 feet down the road (same side of street).  He did not (or could not) follow simple instructions and when we met to exchange the keys, he was argumentative.  He argued he was not a host.  When I said I found his history of the guests he hosted, he got aggitated.  OMG he was paranoid and angry at me.  I asked him why he did not have a profile picture and he could not give me a straight answer to my face.  Is this the type of people we have to expect?  At the end of this experience, he gave me the worst review, one star and I got suspended.  He said it was the dirtiest house ever because he found a cob web.  O com'mon buddy we live in a forest by the river. I can spend 2 hours cleaning every corner top to bottom side to side and a harmless little spider can pop out a web in two minutes. Our two bedroom cottage Just went through a $20,000 reno, all new throughout, new linens and I have been in this business without issue for over 27 years.  So who is the idiot here!  I was blindsided on this one.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Judy29

What a horrible experience, but what I don't understand is why you didn't ask Airbnb to cancel the booking before he arrived, saying you were uncomfortable with the guest.

Under Airbnb's updated policy it will be exactly the same as it was before if you tick the box to say you require a photo of your guests you will get that - either on IB immediately or if you have set it on request, once a booking is confirmed

As you have proved the old system was still open to abuse.

If you do as I do, which is to have on your IB rules that only those with a clear photo of themselves can book, if a guest doesn't provide it, you can ask Airbnb to cancel.

Helen:  So here's the thing with Airbnb.  I called them right at the onset of the verbal abuse of this guests and said I was uncomfortable.  By 10pm I received an email saying the guest did not like the accommodations and left.  His review was apalling at best and again I called Airbnb.  I was so upset with their response saying that he had the right as a guests to comment on his experience and was not in violation of airbnb standards and let the bad review stay.  They were totally not understanding at all.  When I retorted to review him, I said it like it was that he was verbally abusive and leaving me uncomfortable to invite him to our accommodations?  Then my site was suspended.  He did not have a photo ID on his profil.  Would that not be the first red flag for Airbnb.  Like I said before...27 years in this business and zero complaints from any guests except the Airbnb travellers.  What's with this?  

I do understand Airbnb has this policy and it is not inforced and yes you can simply ask the guest as you stated. This is a safety issue which should be a GREAT concern for Airbnb! Also just one more step the host has to take which the guest usually does not understand why they need to send you another picture. I usually get another selfe sent to me in the msg thread instead of their personal photo. Some are irritated with the request if they respond at all. The burden is on the Host. 

Hadil0
Level 1
United States

I agree with all of you guys. I just received a request from someone (Asian background) who has a bridge as their profile picture. I will be traveling out of town and I would like to know who will stay with my family at home. This is very inconvenient, can we have Airbnb enforce something about it. I remember when requesting to be a guest, traveling, I put a picture of me, that got "rejected" because it did not show my face features. I uploaded a more clear one and everything was fine. I was wondering how can some people get away with that. I will request my guest to update his/her profile and see where it goes. Please, let me know if someone wants to take an initiative and they need my help/voice. Thanks for starting that conversation.

Over the years, when I have guests requesting without pictures, I will send a message at the onset and tell them that it is Airbnb policy to show a photo of themselves.  "could we politely request this of you before we go futher with a booking".  Usually first time travellers have no issue with this and a photo pops up.  But I have a guests who's picture was Ryan Gosling.   I did approve the booking for six weeks (?).  I asked them to leave after week two saying they had one extra week to find accommodations elsewhere.  When they moved in they rearranged all the furniture and scotch taped posters on the walls?  There were damages to the kitchen cupboards after week two. They moved my patio furniture to the front yard and I moved it back two days later.   I simply said to them that they were less than responsible with my property (and their own)  and was uncomfortable with them as tenants.  Six weeks later and a little research I discovered that they were Airbnb hosts too and they stay at cheaper accommodations.  They rented their home for $289/night and stayed with us at $450/week.  Not bad if thats your way of living.  Then there were paycheques and packages arriving at the house.  Turns our she is a PEng???   ....and I could write a book on bad experiences alone!

Send your voice to https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback  This could change things if many reply.

Vida0
Level 2
England, GB

Why are Airbnb not enforcing the condition that guests should include a clear profile picture ? Surely there is the technology to detect when an image is missing or not suitable.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

I seriously could not care less what my guests look like. When i first began hosting any pic was ok I used to have a bunch of flowers, and I knew nothing about the appearance of many guests untill I met them.

I know guests have lots of valid reasons for not wanting their pictures on a public forum where they can be copied and misused, they also publicly link them to their travels and movements when combined with reviews. 

And as far as I am concerned, the worst part of demanding a "real" picture of the guest is the assumptions which hosts want to make, and inevitably will make-about the person who may be staying. 

In my experience, having a decent pre-stay conversation is a far better way to check that you/host and your guests understand each others expectations. Especially when you do your own extra identity checks with the guest, and don't just rely on verified IDs which tell you who someone might be, but nothing about how they will behave at your property,. Verified IDs also do nothing to explain your facilities to your guests.

For the best quality hosting experiences I believe that Hosts need to be as hands-on as possible and communcation is paramount. Personalised emails are the best use of your hands when requests come in. The bulk of hosting work is often online, [not just in-between guests stays when the room is being prepared and restocked] and the more communication you have with your enquirers and guests the more you will prevent and "actively manage out" problems.

Airbnb provide an online platform with tools and education. They also provide a neutral secure 3rd party for financial security and transactionsand conflicts.

Regarding security deposits, when Airbnb seem to favour guests, please keep in mind that Airbnb agents are probably considering the bigger legal picture, and guests have legal rights as well. Hosts have to accommodate this sometimes inconvenient/frustrating reality. 

As for me, I like the fact that I have an owner-operated home-based business and thanks to Airbnb I have some easy to use tools and guidance to make this activity possible.

But judging by the online requests for oodles of extra tools and rules, the website could become increasingly complex and confusing to navigate. So many seem to want something more and different, and there are as many opinions and items on the wish lists as hosts.

So let's learn to fully use the existing tools first before we rush to cram in more.

Best regards, Christine.

Hi Christine,

Your perspective is interesting. If someone just tells you their First name and where they live how does one conduct further identity checks?  

I would like to know, too. I used to get the guest's first and last name, now just the first name. That alone makes it much harder to do any research on a potential guest.

I feel it is a basic thing that you include a clear picture.  Why do hosts have to do so?  Also why do hosts have to include clear pictures of their space?  It is for mutual trust.

A clear profile picture should be a basic requirement.  And it should be enforced.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kevin-s0 unfortunately there are thousands of hosts who don't use a photo of themselves and don't complete their profile. Airbnb doesn't do anything about them either.

AirBnB should equally enforce the rules for both guests and hosts, wouldn't you agree? For hosts, if there is not an accurate and complete profile, and a clear photo, then the listing should be delisted until the information is complete and accurate. For guests, they should not be able to do anything unless the have a clear photo and and a complete profile.

I will again state that each of these takes away from AirBnB's ability to generate revenue, and thus it will take a class action lawsuit to get AirBnB's attention.